• Bell

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Horn

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I regularly shout at blind motorists

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • What are these 'bells and horns' you talk of?

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I carry a rolled up newspaper to bop Hookooekoo on the nose

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Bell on the city warrior hack build and ride aggressively in traffic.

On the others for off road a few sharp clicks on the brake levers, or just shout "INCOMMMMMINNNNNG!!!!!!!!!"..

Last edited:

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
Bell, you need to as some of the walkers are a bit thick.
I'm sure some of them pretend to be deaf just to cause a problem.
But, you get the sensible ones that move and we say thanks.

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
Don't do much riding on busy roads but if a driver waits I always put hand up.
It's the ones that have cars on their side of the road but just fly through about 2 foot from the handlebar.

hookooekoo

Retro Guru
I suppose some people interpret a bike bell as being the cycling equivalent of a motorist blasting their horn at someone that they consider to be in their way, rather than just a friendly warning that there is a cyclist approaching. Bikes can be almost silent, and a lot of pedestrians lack any awareness of their surroundings. I'm not sure why a pedestrian wouldn't appreciate an audible warning. I guess some people just lack any kind of hazard awareness. They probably open car doors without looking too.

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
Feedback
View
Just put a bell on one of my bikes for the very first time, our recently finished Tandem.
I hadn’t felt the need before, but at 44lbs + 2 good sized riders it’s like a juggernaut when it gets going! 😬

Raging_Bulls

Sbike Fan
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've installed one on my city/shopping bike last month, but it was a cheap rubbish one I found in a bin somewhere. Gotta sort that out sometime soon.

Unfortunately I'm very sensitive to noise (and light, but that's irrelevant here), otherwise I'd go for this approach :