Does anyone know where I can buy a decent Shimano rear brake with 1500mm hose?

flash

Retrobike Rider
I’m struggling to find a brake with a long enough hose for a new build. Either local bike shops don’t want to change the hose or they’re fully booked until November + and I can only find brakes with 1400 or 1700 hoses. I don’t trust myself to do it. Does anyone know where I can buy a decent Shimano rear brake with 1500mm hose?
Cheers

C'mon you can do it!

Funnel bleed kit
Shimano fluid
Syringe
Razor knife.

Install the new hose, confirm length, mark & cut. Install barb, slide on rubber boot, metal nut & olive.
Prep syringe, remove air, oil to the tip. Connect to caliper (pads removed, block in) bleed until oil comes out end of hose.
Connect hose to lever, funnel bleed. Done

It's surprisingly simple. I was concerned about doing the same thing when I cut a hose to short. Doing it the way I did it took 10 minutes, just taking my time.

Putting the fitting in to a cut hose is a simple undertaking. It seems complex but once you do it you find it takes under a minute.

You just have to ensure the hose is cut squarely.

I chickened out and bought some new brakes, 1700mm hose, so I’ll just have to fit apehangers to the new Pugsley…:LOL:

IMG-20220906-WA0014.jpeg

Do what I did and loop it around the steerer tube like a dirt jump bike. Not that I'll ever do a mad bar spin, but I didn't want to shorten the hose in case I wanted to move the brake to something else later.

As others have said, cutting hoses is pretty straight forward. If you're careful you don't lose any mineral oil and can avoid bleeding afterwards. Just get the new barb, olive and tools (needle barb drivers can be had on eBay for £11, or use the yellow blocks, locking pliers and a hammer) ready to hand. Also remember to slide the hose nut down the hose before cutting and installing the new olive and barb. I've frustrated myself with that mistake a few times.

Latest posts

Back