Does anyone have an idea what this is?

The internal routing for the rear brake seems out of place with the rest of the bike. Possibly a later addition with a respray.

I wonder if it's a Mercier if not a Peugeot.

Talking of York and mid 70's, I used to race grass track during the bike show there in the summer :)

Peter Watson is someone I knew as well, not that well obviously because they were all 10 to 15 years older than me.

I used to Marshall at the Grass track though! And lead a few of the rides.

I went to Boswell's a few times when I was (allegedly :roll: ) working in York. I also remember him as being quite a fast rider in the Clifton with Pete Smith, Roy Cromack and the Watsons. Pete Longbottom was a great rider, his passing was a tragedy. I was closer to his Dad who, I think, packed up riding after Pete's accident. Ian White was also a very good York rider who had, for a short while, a shop north of York. I still use a roll-up rain jacket I bought from him. Ian sadly passed away earlier this year. There was also a company that made skinsuits and jerseys run by a V C York or Clifton rider, can't remember his name. Good quality kit. I had a skinsuit by them and it fitted really well.

The 'big' York bike firm in the 50's/early 60's was Temple Cycles who ran a team of independents (semi-pros). Several well known future pros cut their teeth riding for Temple.

My somewhat faulty memory suggests that Pete Longbottom's father was quite a useful cyclocross rider in his youth and was a handy veteran time trailer. His daughter (Pete's sister, who's name escapes me for the moment) married Jeff Williams who rode as a pro for Raleigh for a couple of seasons. Ian White's shop was in Haxby, he sold up after a few years to concentrate on a sports media company I think. If I remember correctly the clothing was produced by Dave Byworth.

jim haseltine":3ixe01ls said:
My somewhat faulty memory suggests that Pete Longbottom's father was quite a useful cyclocross rider in his youth and was a handy veteran time trailer. His daughter (Pete's sister, who's name escapes me for the moment) married Jeff Williams who rode as a pro for Raleigh for a couple of seasons. Ian White's shop was in Haxby, he sold up after a few years to concentrate on a sports media company I think. If I remember correctly the clothing was produced by Dave Byworth.

Pete's Dad was a good vet TT'er. He could put some time into me at any rate! Not that it means that much................ :(

Dave Byworth, that's who it was. He was a regular on rhe race scene locally as well in the 80's.

Yeah, Ian White Cycles in Haxby, next door to the Chemists, over the road from the fish and chip shop.

I lived there 77 to 95/96 and my younger brother was in the same year at school as one of Ians daughters, no idea which one.

I hadn't considered that the rear brake routing was none standard. It is an odd bike, I've searched through countless images of bikes with cantilever brakes and there's nothing quite like it, mind you, there aren't that many compared to bikes with conventional brakes.
I think I'm going to assume it's interesting but not 'special' and the restoration will reflect this. It'll make a nice bike when my club has a 'steel' ride.

mattr":3asn6pdy said:
Yeah, Ian White Cycles in Haxby, next door to the Chemists
Close. It's a row of three units. The first was (and still is) the Chemists, the second was a furniture shop which never seemed to open but had become an estate agents (which it still is) by the time that Ian opened his shop in the third which used to be a grocer's and is now a Chinese restaurant with an eclectic mix of a Cantonese menu with Italian desserts (weird, but true). Sometime after he sold up the bike shop moved to a unit on the old forge site on Usher Lane and more recently to the old general store at the junction of York Road and Eastfield Avenue.

Re:

Maybe this is a Peugeot ? , don`t forget Peugeot had the `Atelier Prestige` Frameshop which was equivalent to Raleighs SBDU and made not only the team bikes but also custom frames with any choice of geometry, braze- ons, colours etc. The dropouts look correct for a 1975 PY10 as in this photo .

Attachments

• px10le.PNG
    px10le.PNG
    200.7 KB · Views: 624
jim haseltine":11tmkngs said:
mattr":11tmkngs said:
Yeah, Ian White Cycles in Haxby, next door to the Chemists
Close. It's a row of three units. The first was (and still is) the Chemists, the second was a furniture shop which never seemed to open but had become an estate agents (which it still is) by the time that Ian opened his shop in the third which used to be a grocer's and is now a Chinese restaurant with an eclectic mix of a Cantonese menu with Italian desserts (weird, but true). Sometime after he sold up the bike shop moved to a unit on the old forge site on Usher Lane and more recently to the old general store at the junction of York Road and Eastfield Avenue.
Wasn't the shop eventually owned by the same chap who had the shop on Burton stone lane (John?)? I can vaguely remember speaking to his dad (?) In there last time I was in haxby, probably 15 years ago.
And I saw that there was a shop in the old eastfield stores unit. Can remember shopping in there when it was still a spar.

I guess you still live in (or near) Haxby.

Back