Do modern groupsets last less?

Currently rocking a 30 but there's room for a 34. Its a mtb, is for going up and then down. Is my first non-singlespeed for 5 years so I'm used to getting spun out at low speed, this thing is comparably fast!

Sure parts are spensive now. Everything is. I paid $5 for a 1/2 gallon of milk yesterday, and I won't mention house prices. A real measure of value? Take that money you invested in high end bikes in 1990 and put it in the sp500, its value today is the actual cost of that vintage gear. I remember buying sedis 8 speed chains for $6, and being pleased by the savings even though they didn't last at all. Swapping worn out cassette cogs from the shops cog board. But todays xx1 chains are incredibly durable, as are those $250 cassettes - as long as you keep them clean!

PS: I hope y'all don't mind my attitude. Is boring watching you all sit around and agree. Someones gotta be the bad guy. I'm the actual troglodite.
Nobody minds anything, good to hear your opinion man.
This is a free topic, hippie style. It's all about the bikes!

Kind of like complaining about a modern new car having a price which is greater than a 20 year old one though. Tech costs money.

Why would you buy a nice new reliable car with all the modern tech and 55mpg for £30k when you can buy 10 x 3k snotters and run each one into the ground……

Modern mtb are a evolution. The changes might not be to your tastes but functionally they are better at doing their task and last longer than the 90s versions for sure. 90s stuff wasn’t ridden that hard really as riding has changed so much. Stuff broke really easily and wore out just as much too. Modern bikes just work , and keep going and going.

Rose tinted glasses on what we all used to ride happens a lot. nostalgia is the biggest driver of 2nd hand prices and certainly why I collect them.

I personally like how modern stuff looks too. The 2000-2018 bikes were the ugly period for me personally.
I like how carbon fiber frames look, but i don't trust them because i'm heavy but also they are definitely weaker in the face of wear and tear than metal frames.

When i ride my 20, 40 year old steel frame i never worry about cracks or the frame coming apart under me, not even during crashes.

And yes, i was hit by a car while riding my 2004 specialized rockhopper pro comp, we both came out OK but the car needed a respray "LOL" ;)

I like how carbon fiber frames look, but i don't trust them because i'm heavy but also they are definitely weaker in the face of wear and tear than metal frames.

When i ride my 20, 40 year old steel frame i never worry about cracks or the frame coming apart under me, not even during crashes.

And yes, i was hit by a car while riding my 2004 specialized rockhopper pro comp, we both came out OK but the car needed a respray "LOL" ;)

Lots now offer lifetime warranty on carbon frames so that’s no issue I feel.

Plus Carbon isn’t the only high end modern material - Ti for example if you heavier.

At least so far I keep bikes for five or more years. Had a used yeti but found rear triangle was cracked when it came t8me to sell. Had a carbon hardtail I bought to bikepack, sold it as soon as trip was over. Fine bike but I didn’t want to hold the liability.

But carbon bars, rims, cranks… I’ve got many years on all and never a failure. The weight savings and comfort are worth it for me.

Was thinking about this thread. Modern stuff is fantastic and we didn’t mention tires. Tubeless? The maxxis dhf, vittoria mezcal, bontrager se2? Dropper posts? This is a golden age right now.

The only modern component that I’m unhappy with are shimano spd pedals, I wear the top plates in less than a year and they aren’t available to buy. Have a box of worn pedals with cherry bearings, waiting to buy top plates but unavailable.

I think anyone who thinks this isn't just some interesting and 'fun' bikers chatting down the pub, halfway around a ride somewhere (even if it's just a ten mile partly offroad retroride) and hasn't realise that Retro will always be better as that *is* the theme, should look at the title of the page.

Then when you turn up on your 29er+ boost Gravel E-bike with the up and coming 40mm suspension system.
If you don't call it 'shite and unnecessary' as you turn up, and you haven't expected the banter about it
(.. but it means you came for a ride with us and nobody cares really, they're just glad you're along for the ride and will try grab on for a tow...)

Then you need to have a long hard look at yourself. Think why you are here, go find the top end current 7 and 8 speed bike parts and slap yourself with it.
(even if they're all cheap shite range now, but still as good or better than most the era stuff and cheaper)

---
P. S. Don't even think about that modern 9speed stuff, unless you lift your dayglo lycra up and head off to baggy 98+ section. *

*we can ignore you few DuraAce people who really shouldn't be in the MTB section either.

Have a good day, your round is next 🍻

Maybe my riding isn't "rad or gnarly" enough, but I've never really had problems with stuff repeatedly breaking or wearing out quickly, bitd or now, old or new. STW seemed to be filled with people bragging how much stuff they had broken, like a badge of honour.

As for cars, new cars are definitely more reliable. Had loads of old Minis over the years, wife has a current Mini, not once have I had to replace the condenser on the side of a motorway, clean and reset the points, cover the battery terminals in vaseline in the vein hope of a better connection, do up the exhaust clamp every few months or cover the distributor with a marigold to keep it from cutting out in the rain, not to mention the blowing oil out of the exhaust or the rust everywhere. But then neither have I had as much fun in the modern Mini as I did in the old ones

I think anyone who thinks this isn't just some interesting and 'fun' bikers chatting down the pub, halfway around a ride somewhere (even if it's just a ten mile partly offroad retroride) and hasn't realise that Retro will always be better as that *is* the theme, should look at the title of the page.

Then when you turn up on your 29er+ boost Gravel E-bike with the up and coming 40mm suspension system.
If you don't call it 'shite and unnecessary' as you turn up, and you haven't expected the banter about it
(.. but it means you came for a ride with us and nobody cares really, they're just glad you're along for the ride and will try grab on for a tow...)

Then you need to have a long hard look at yourself. Think why you are here, go find the top end current 7 and 8 speed bike parts and slap yourself with it.
(even if they're all cheap shite range now, but still as good or better than most the era stuff and cheaper)

---
P. S. Don't even think about that modern 9speed stuff, unless you lift your dayglo lycra up and head off to baggy 98+ section. *

*we can ignore you few DuraAce people who really shouldn't be in the MTB section either.

Have a good day, your round is next 🍻
There's a core issue.

bluedot.jpg

So as I was saying. Two core issues. Lack of good beer and lack of vert.

rangercreek.jpg

PS: M900 xtr is the best and most perfect groupset ever. I don't understand why that m900 aesthetic couldn't continue to progress.

PS: M900 xtr is the best and most perfect groupset ever. I don't understand why that m900 aesthetic couldn't continue to progress.

All the nice durable hard anodizing of hubs and mechs has been replaced by cheap paint. I agree.
It's also a pity that the durability improvements made to 10, 11 and 12 speed chains wasn't done to 7-8 speed.

Shimano's shift to different pull ratios from 10 speed eliminated the tetchiness to dirt of 9-speed (fine if you live in California, not so in Northern Europe in the winter).

Meanwhile I happily still run 7 speed on my tourer: it gives bombproof wheels with less dish, while the gear system is as simple as a knife and fork.

I've not had any issues with modern 10 and 11 speed on my road bikes over the last few years. Have a 12 speed SRAM MTB for about a year and so far so good.

Much of the XT and Dx etc dug up on here and used on builds comes from garage queen donor bikes, so might be 30 years old, but it's never been used anyway, so it's a bit artificial.

100gs, 200gs, was there a 70gs, 300lx, all plastic crap. Suntour x-1 xpress shifters, ye god's turd or what.

However, Suntour xc 9000, best of the old stuff in my experience. Amazing quality

Latest posts

Back