Difficult things that turn out to be stupidly easy

jimwise68

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just sitting here laughing at myself.

I've enjoyed bikes ever since I could ride, age 4. I have a scar on my chin where I had stitches after crashing trying to jump across the width of a pavement, I was only about 6 and a massive Evil Knievel fan.

In that time, the last 48 years, I have enjoyed all manner of bikes, both riding, fixing, building and restoring.

This week I learnt something new. I changed the freehub body on a pair of LX hubs. Never did it before as I never knew how to do it. Normally I would sell the wheelset and buy a new pair of wheels. Yet all this time it was just one 10mm allen bolt away from changing.

I dont feel stupid at all! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Re:

Every day is a school day! I remember finding this out & being pretty amazed it was so simple.

It's literally opened up a whole new world for me! haha

I've even built countless sets of wheels and never knew changing the freehub was so simple.

Re:

A few things seem like voodoo until you try. And once you know how, can save lots of time and money. Modern stuff like bleeding brakes and servicing forks seemed too complicated but once you know how and have the kit, it is so satisfying to do yourself and save money forever.

Wheel building is something else I've done myself a few times. Even if I can't get it perfect, I only need to pay for a true rather than a full wheel build. £5 vs £50 is a no brainer. And satisfying knowing you did it yourself.

Back