Depaint project | 1988 Stumpjumper

Thanks for all the positive comments and advice everyone. I’ve finally gotten round to properly stripping the bike (of components, not paint… yet). After some encouraging success with removing the paint from the seatpost QR and crank caps I had a go at the derailleurs today.

Below is what the XT RD-M730 rear mech looked like when I removed them from the frame. A pretty horrible combination of dirt and paint.

IMG_8175.jpeg
IMG_8282.jpeg
Above is after a strip, scraping off the majority of the paint with a blunt edge, a quick dip in the ultrasonic cleaner, rebuild and polish. Turns out it’s in great condition, nicely preserved by the dirt and paint.

Here’s a few more before and after shots.

IMG_8178.jpeg
IMG_8285.jpeg

I hadn’t even realised the jockeys were red until after I gave them a good clean.

IMG_8176.jpeg
IMG_8283.jpeg

All bolts, screws and component parts were in great condition and even the logo is clean and complete.

IMG_8286.jpeg

Front derailleur pics to follow shortly.

I could see that there were a few random stickers on the forks. Once I got a corner lifted they came off pretty easily, taking the paint with them. And underneath the stickers the paint looks to be in pretty good condition. Hoping the rest of the paint is equally nice.

IMG_8277.jpeg
IMG_8278.jpeg

Last edited:
Good progress, it’s cleaning up really well!
What a bizarre thing to do, spraying everything black like that…(?)

There was guy at college years ago with a stunning red Diamond Back bike.
It was stolen - and we spotted it in town weeks later - albeit sprayed completely in black. It had been sprayed fully assembled, so the paint covered absolutely everything.

Good progress, it’s cleaning up really well!
What a bizarre thing to do, spraying everything black like that…(?)
Normally because it's been nicked and they've sprayed (or hand painted!) to help disguise the bike. OR the owner did this to help it make it less desirable (I doubt it though) so it didn't get nicked, but black tape/inner tubes is a less messy way.

Back