Depaint project | 1988 Stumpjumper

Walterscot

Retro Guru
I picked this up at my local bike recycling centre last week where it had been diverted from landfill. At first glance/from afar it looked kinda interesting but it got much more interesting the closer I looked.

As you can see, everything had been completely covered in cheap black rattlecan paint right down to the grips, cables and even the chain. But underneath it’s something rather nice and, because of the ‘protective’ layer of paint, potentially in great condition.

IMG_7578.jpeg

I’m hoping this layer of poor quality paint has perfectly preserved what’s underneath. I’ve already cleaned up the seatpost and it’s come up lovely.

IMG_7585.jpeg

I’m sure someone will be able to tell what it is from just the silhouette; any guesses before I change the thread title and post some more revealing and detailed work in progress pics?

The saddle isn’t original so can be ignored. Neither are the tyres and as nice as the stem looks I don’t think it’s what came with this bike originally. Otherwise it’s all there and it looks in pretty good condition from my first tentative removing of the paint. Which is so far coming away quite nicely.

I’ll post more detailed before and after pictures soon.

Top tube decal is Specialized. Although stem looks like it could be Marin. I would also say its a 1988 Stumpy based on the colours I can see. Have a look in the brochure I'm pretty sure you will find it.

I’ve not got round to stripping (dismantling) the bike yet but I did make a start on the seatpost. The paint came off fairly easily with the blunt edge of a kitchen knife. It’s a SunTour XC in rather good condition. As you can see the seatpost QR is coming up nicely too. Although it’s not quite so easy to get the paint off the rubber. Any tips welcomed.

IMG_7876.jpeg

Well saved! Can’t believe this was close to being scrapped! Lovely colourway. A friends brother had one of these back in the late 80s. Hopefully the remainder of the black paint can come off and fingers crossed the original paint can be saved. Good luck! 🤞💪👌

I’ve not got round to stripping (dismantling) the bike yet but I did make a start on the seatpost. The paint came off fairly easily with the blunt edge of a kitchen knife. It’s a SunTour XC in rather good condition. As you can see the seatpost QR is coming up nicely too. Although it’s not quite so easy to get the paint off the rubber. Any tips welcomed.

View attachment 779090
Boiling/hot water perhaps? Should make the rubber more pliable enough to cause the paint to crack/craze and drop off without any chemicals. Assume you’d just need a toothbrush to help shift?! Lovely find & project! 😎

XT seat qr that. Cellulose thinners perhaps for the old paint or if the Mrs has some nail varnish remover you could give that a try. No idea if it works.

Back