Depaint project | 1988 Stumpjumper

Chainset is now fully cleaned and reassembled. The Biopace sticker was peeling and I didn’t want to totally destroy it so I removed it before the big ring went in the ultrasonic cleaner.

IMG_8457.jpeg
IMG_8459.jpeg
I just need to work out how to properly remove the paint from it and reattach it. Or I might see if Gil can make a reproduction sticker.

Anyway, here’s a before, during and after of the chainset clean-up.

IMG_8276.jpeg
IMG_8395.jpeg
IMG_8452.jpeg
IMG_8460.jpeg
IMG_8461.jpeg
Quite pleased with how it’s turned out and the rings are all in pretty good nick. It certainly is a satisfying process getting these classic parts back to their original condition.

I also gave the HP-MT60 headset and BB a quick clean and managed to get most of the paint off the rubber parts without damaging them.

IMG_8451.jpeg
IMG_8453.jpeg
IMG_8455.jpeg

All in good order except for the lower caged bearings. And the logo is a bit gone.

IMG_8456.jpeg

Bottom bracket is in good condition under all the paint and grease and will certainly be able to be reused.

IMG_8396.jpeg
IMG_8454.jpeg

That’s most of the components done. So just the major task of removing the black paint from the frame now.

Finally found some time (and a fish poacher from a local charity shop) to get the rest of the paint off the forks. My previous experiment with a pan of boiling water had worked well but only the lower half of the forks fitted in to even the biggest pan I had. So I had been on the lookout for a fish poacher and found one that was the perfect size.

IMG_9687.jpeg

Double hobs, an old toothbrush, plenty boiling water and the extractor on full blast got the black paint peeling off no problem.

IMG_0020.jpeg

This process completely melted the toothbrush and there wasn’t much left of it by the end.

IMG_0024.jpeg

The forks are in pretty good nick and most of the black paint came off without a fight.

IMG_0021.jpeg
IMG_0022.jpeg

It’s gonna take a bit more work to get it out/off the chips and scratches.

IMG_0023.jpeg

Now I just need to work out how to get the rest of the paint off the frame. Because of the decals boiling isn’t an option, even if I could find a pan big enough.

Try some nail varnish remover - it might not seem to work at the beginning but I found it removed 'rattle-can' paint after a while, leaving tougher 'factory' paint/ polyurethane still attached. I then went to the local hardware store and got a big can of acetone - the pure active ingredient in nail varnish remover and things progressed more quickly. Experiment, don't leave it saturated, rub and swirl, see what happens. Hopefully it'll work for you too. Good luck!

Any further on with this one Sir ?

I’m hoping the frame has come up well, and all you needed to do was touch the forks up.

Brett 🙂

Latest posts

Back