Defeated by Nobby Nics!

El-Y22

Old School Hero
I have been absolutely defeated by some clincher Nobby Nics' that someone mounted ghetto style with god knows what sealant on some seamless UST wheels I bought, the tyres only seem to have a couple of miles on them so I'm not ready to cut them off yet. I've tried every damn trick I know including attacking them with long nose water pump pliers wrapped in old inner tube and tape, but I just can break the seal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
hmm, there is a technique to it sometimes depending on the tyre/rim combination.

my method, obvs remove all air from tyre, preferably by removing the valve core, then (on the tight ones) i place the wheel on the floor, kneel down with my left knee up and pull the wheel in to my chest, with my right hand i then grab the top of the wheel while supporting/holding the wheel with my left hand, i then push as hard as i can with my right hand to get the tyre to un-bead, this usually works, once the bead is broken i then push the whole side of the tyre off, then turn the wheel round and un-bead the other side with the same technique, then the tyre levers come out to remove the tyre itself.

i haven't been beaten by an mtb tyre yet, although i had to cut a road tyre off a Reynolds rim a while ago, that one was terrible.

Valve core removed and this is what I've been doing...

Usually works!

Might have to take it to a bike shop to sort out for the first time since I was a teen.

I have been absolutely defeated by some clincher Nobby Nics' that someone mounted ghetto style with god knows what sealant on some seamless UST wheels I bought, the tyres only seem to have a couple of miles on them so I'm not ready to cut them off yet. I've tried every damn trick I know including attacking them with long nose water pump pliers wrapped in old inner tube and tape, but I just can break the seal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Put valves back in and inflate slightly. Wheel on floor and stand on tyre with toes next to rim. Bounce. Sh!t yourself when it pops. Needs enough air to stop tyre folding straight away but not so much that you shatter your ear drum when it goes. Only ever had to do this once. Not keen to have to do it again.

Solvents, get a thin screwdriver in the edge and WD40 (or GT85) should dissolve most light glue things, (it is latex or rubber normally) otherwise get something a bit 'arder, bit of IPA then possibly propanone if that doesn't work (may damage tyre).

Note born out of experience with tyre sealant though, never needed to.

Just looking at Vittoria Foam tyre liners for something else - and their instructional videos show a tyre plier that is designed for effectively breaking the seal.
Their design is the foam holds the bead in place - therefore is hard to remove - hence the pliers.

Video shows the pliers in action
https://www.vittoria.com/ww/en/technology/air-liner-road

Might do the job?

Thanks for the link, but I can't see the advantage over the water-pump pliers I've been using, the bar at the end of each jaw makes them wider, but not sure that would make much of a difference.

I will keep them in mind, though.

I've removed tubeless tyres countless times, even clincher tyres mounted the same way on similar rims, but it's never beaten me like these have.

You could fit them to a bike and rag them around the woods at too low pressure until the tyre burps and detaches. There is of course the risk of crashing but it might be more fun than wrestling with them on the shed floor😁

I think I'm just going to leave the Nobby Nics where they are, a tad more rolling resistance than I'd like, but they're decent enough tyres when you get on the trail.

Thanks for all the input.

Back