Dean titanium 1995

So a little more progress (and headaches on this).

The black Ritchey rims I originally was going to use had XTM732 hubs on them which only take a 7 speed cassette so I had to use a silver pair which have the later XTM737 hubs. From a weight perspective I found an XTM737 cassette in the garage which is quite lightweight so from a functioning perspective I'm on a winner and from an aesthetic view I actually quite like the silver rims now so I think I'll stick with them for the foreseeable future.

I played around with different chainrings to see what I thought looked best and settled for silver rings, this build is having less and less black on it which I originally wanted but I'm thinking it's starting to look better for it. I might change the brakes at some point for XTR M950 ones which are grey but the XT ones on there now can stay as they're good enough.

Anyway, it's almost there now. I just need to set up the brakes and gears properly and change a couple of cables for better ones then I think It'll be ready to ride.

HhRyrjQ.jpg

ninLyBw.jpg

dy0oVHK.jpg

Re:

That looks really (really!) nice :cool:: job well done!

If there was something I'd change, it'd be the v brakes as I'm not a fan of those (in general).
But other than that, I think it's simply stunning!

When's the maiden ride planned?

Re: Re:

Double-E F":20he3hkr said:
That looks really (really!) nice :cool:: job well done!

If there was something I'd change, it'd be the v brakes as I'm not a fan of those (in general).
But other than that, I think it's simply stunning!

When's the maiden ride planned?

I will change the brakes at some point I'm sure but for now they're staying. I don't know exactly what I'll put on there but it won't be cantis.

Few more weeks until it will be ridden, it's the small details you can't see that need to be sorted first.

I like the cabling, makes a nice change from black. I remember importing a Dean stem way back but could only afford the alloy one and that wasn't cheap with shipping and duty. I could only dream of buying the other parts. The logo made their stuff really stand out. For hubs I would have gone for Nukeproof's, they seemed space age at the time, but that's just me.

Skynet":3lp07ssk said:
I like the cabling, makes a nice change from black. I remember importing a Dean stem way back but could only afford the alloy one and that wasn't cheap with shipping and duty. I could only dream of buying the other parts. The logo made their stuff really stand out. For hubs I would have gone for Nukeproof's, they seemed space age at the time, but that's just me.

Strangely enough I was offered a pair of Nukes by a pal locally. When I get a bit more disposable income I'll search for a lightweight set of rims/hubs.

I would be very happy to sling my legs over that and give it a right good thrashing (note my thrashing is pretty tame). It's one of the very few bikes that looks good with skinwalls so kudos. A great looking bike that looks ready to fly.

Re:

Definitely stick with the silver rings, Ian. I think the CBR cranks look a bit spindly for the frame but I’m probably in the minority. Grafton Joysticks could look good?

I really love the multi-coloured cabling.

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":18qhouyu said:
Definitely stick with the silver rings, Ian. I think the CBR cranks look a bit spindly for the frame but I’m probably in the minority. Grafton Joysticks could look good?

I really love the multi-coloured cabling.

Thanks Matt, agreed the silver rings look better. How are you getting on with your builds etc?

Re:

I’ve got 6 bikes in the loft with nearly all the parts sitting next to them. Just need to decide which one to start first.

Back