Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke/Dart re-issue or Panaracer Paleo
Tubes: Tubolito

Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Dean Titanium
Seatpost Binder: Dean Titanium

Weight:20.3lbs - 9.15Kg

So today is a bit of a miserable day as we are suffering a so called storm (or a light shower as one of my Scottish friends said) so it's a lazy "stay-in" day. As I have a bit of spare time I thought I might as well create a thread for the interest of members as well as keeping a chronological timeline of this build for myself.

As I've made a bit of progress already I'll create a few posts showing initial stages so far, all comments or suggestions welcome as well as any Dean info or advice is most welcome.

So to start with, the Dean was always my favourite titanium frame of the period and I finally managed to source one. Here it is on the day of arrival when I unpacked it in my dark garage in the late hours. Already fitted to the frame is a Chris King headset which is beautiful. The forks are also titanium and incredibly lightweight which I'll show later.

z7ev1Q1.jpg

I absolutely love the welding detail on these frames, I'm no expert but it looks amazing:

woh4n6y.jpg

So moving on a bit, I also had the Dean stem, bars, seatpost and the titanium forks along with the frame. My initial intention is to build it up with available parts that I have and get it resembling a fully functional bike and then replace bits as and when I source other parts.

A few days after receiving the frame I fitted the other Dean parts and put it on a pair of Ritchey wheels which I had lying around to get an idea of what it will look like. Initially I wasn't so sure about the stem as I'm used to seeing zero rise ones but it's growing on me and looks better in later pictures.

J4sq7yv.jpg

cZlrvLS.jpg

That is going to look stunning when it's finished.

What groupset do you have in mind? Its got to be XTR really.

malt":2v03oaqp said:
That is going to look stunning when it's finished.

What groupset do you have in mind? Its got to be XTR really.

Well as you'll see later when I upload more pics I have initially fitted XT M739 which is correct for 1995, I had it in the garage already and it works superbly. Over time I will gradually replace it I'm sure, most probably for XTR M950 as you suggest. The grey colour of M950 should suit it well I think however I'm not the greatest fan of how the front mech looks so it's all a bit up in the air at the moment.

M900/M910 would look sweet, that's what my mate had on his back in 1995. I agree though, the grey of the M950 would be goos too.

I guess it goes down to what's easiest to get hold of.

malt":3cqcns14 said:
M900/M910 would look sweet, that's what my mate had on his back in 1995. I agree though, the grey of the M950 would be goos too.

I guess it goes down to what's easiest to get hold of.

Agreed, M900/910 is lovely (I have it on my Dogs Bolx) and is indeed correct for 1995 just. I have debated this in my head but I think M950 is the way forward as I want linear brakes and the XT shifters I have on now will still work as I'm replacing bits. Tough decisions to make, real life 1st world problems haha.

Yes, M910 would be ideal but hard to source and very expensive now. If you like and are thinking of using the M95* range then the M953 front mech comes in original style ;)

Back