De-anodizing and polishing Race Face riser bars

90's Ninja

Old School Hero
I like my handlebars wide...750mm + wide. Near impossible to find the retro stuff that wide so have to go modern when it comes to my riding preference in handlebars. But the modern stuff is near impossible to find in polished aluminum

I'm about to start up a retro-mod build with mostly polished components and these lonely parts bin Race Face Respond handlebars would fit the bill with the polished Race Face Deus XC stem that I have. BUT the black anodizing = no bueno. Time for the strip show

Materials: Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner, scotch brite pads (course, medium, fine), Mother Mag / Aluminum polish, rags
PPE: Rubber gloves, eye goggles, gin & tonic

Couldn't find a vessel long enough for the bars so doing half at a time in the sink. Some pics during the process.... 15min of soaking in Easy Off, then wetting the scotch-brite pad with water and rubbing to remove excess ano

More to come. Stay tuned...

Attachments

• PPE.jpg
    PPE.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Sink.jpg
    Sink.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Pre brushing.jpg
    Pre brushing.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 36
  • after brushing.jpg
    after brushing.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 41
The shot peened finish wasn't doing it for me so taking it through the grits starting with 400. Then 600, 1000, 1500, 3000 and polish. Should pair nicely with the stem. Have to sacrifice the logo's on the bars but will get a Race Face decal cut
400grit.jpg

Man, that looks beautiful, but you finished this a few weeks too late to put it in the box with the Rampage! It would have fit perfectly in there! Now you're going to have to put it on on of your bikes! 😮

Very nice, I've done similar in the past. The only thing that worried me is that aluminium oxidises if it isn't anodised. Are you planning on protecting them somehow?

Back