Dawes Ranger 1984 done ish page 6

Re: Dawes Ranger 1984

With you there. I'm just culling the ones I ride least, to make sure that those that remain are used and abused properly. I have a vredestein slizer grinder combo that would work and look the part or schwalbe mountaineer IIs

Re:

Had a 'me' day. After the hounds, stripped rourke, rebuild explosif with the cranks, wheels and bars from it, and the then got to grips with the ranger. Possibly the longest chain I've ever seen.

Starting point

95e92fa81a2f9992b4d74bb7ef4bc3d4_zpsb6a4b47f.jpg

And after a few hours work.

887c720c4509d82c1e7002f30a63e54c_zpseb7a847d.jpg

Not been out yet, dark now. Maybe tomorrow after the explosif gets a shakedown run.

Managed to scratch the top tube :facepalm:

Ah well, it'll have a few more soon. Hope you all like it. Moody decals plus 531s from h Lloyd. Grey cable. Cranks and mechs from cave, wheels from NeilM. Karma bars and stem from Chris.kay1 thanks again.

Re:

Looks brilliant I have to say. Wonder how it rides. Those chainstays are so long, wheelbase is massive too. Love it

Thanks chaps. Bars are annoying me a little. Too thick for bungs. I have some black caps but means moving everything in a little.

It rides how it looks. Long. Like an ocean liner. Really nice relaxed ride. I spent some time on it before deciding to restore.

Will take some outdoor daylight pics tomorrow.

Re:

Just got back from the first ride. I am fourteen again. More to follow :mrgreen:

Re:

Do you remember how strangely thrilling messing with old racers with the wrong geometry but with free completely disposable parts and frames was? Putting on cow horn bars, brakes that kind of worked, fat tyres, feeling tall and a little unwieldy at first. Slow steering, everything way out front, sitting above the bike.

The first mile brought it all back. The front and rear axles have separate time zones. It is absolutely wonderful. Unique. What were they thinking? Find me a beach.

ae3badecd33012e6556402f8d1293f98_zps9963b3ac.jpg

You can tell it was a first attempt. You could put drops on and tour. So stable. Not heavy. Still waiting for permission to turn into the tricky downhill section. Maybe tomorrow's post will bring news.

66e8c9f5fc826cd6ba714437f0f6dae3_zpsaec3bdba.jpg

The frame, despite expectations, is nicely rigid with a little flex over the bumpy stuff. The back end is solid. Riding position is surprisingly short with the crazy bars and long saddle rails. Braking is gradual and predictable. The old kool stop pads are still there and may bed in or be swapped. Plenty of meat on them. All a bit spongy. The groupset is solid, quiet and reliable. The whole bike is rattle free and taught. Nice.

I'm really getting into early stuff. I wonder what else is out there in steel, 531 ATB, early almost experimental large framed loveliness.

It rocks!

75886e6970dcd91a1f5cab81cf0e18bf_zps02f1dcc4.jpg

Back