Dawes 1994 Super Galaxy 531 + Colourful Ortlieb panniers, Old Man Mountain rack, King Ti cages, DMR V12 Mag pedals

Steel_My_Heart

Retro Newbie
Fully original spec with the Shimano DX group, aside from:
The pedals (DMR V12 Mag), bottle cages (King titanium), and rack (Old Man Mountain "White Rock").
I have those original parts, just wanted to swap for these better ones. Tyres are Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 32. SwissStop pads.
Pedals might seem overkill, but I have large and wide feet, and these are wide, grippy, durable, light, and IMO nice looking.

Levers need to be moved up a bit and bar tape needs redoing. Whole thing is a bit dusty and needs a clean.
Might add silver Tubus Duo front racks (prefer the look of those vs the Tara) and Sport Roller Classics.
The rear rack can take 18kg, plus 15kg for the Duo front rack if I go with that, which is more than I could ever need to carry.
The front rack mounting holes, in the middle of the fork legs, have a bit of rust inside on the threads. Any tips on how to clean this?

Bags are Ortlieb, made for Larca, who I think are / were a German outdoor sports shop. Maybe late 1980s / early 1990s.
I swapped the hooks from a newer Ortlieb set, to fit the rack's tubes, as the original hooks were too narrow.

Enjoy:

IMG_3008.JPG IMG_2945.JPG IMG_3012.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG

And my other "renovated" 1975 Super Galaxy 531 with XT, 105, and Cinelli bits, from another thread. Same size as the 1994, both 63cm.

IMG_1497.JPG

Last edited:
I've got Pannier envy! Those are ace.

The front rack mounting holes, in the middle of the fork legs, have a bit of rust inside on the threads. Any tips on how to clean this?

I'd just oil a bolt up and wind it in and out a few times to clean the threads. Then once satisfied clean off any excess oil, put some copper grease on the bolt and wind it back in for good.

Back