Dave Yates custom wayfarer

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Made to measure in 2002, took me round Australia and New Zealand in 2003, and has been in storage ever since. It was built with a mix of parts before (there's a thread somewhere, link in my sig). The plan is deore DX all over except for the brakes, which are suntour XC pro with SE rear, and modern cane creek levers.

I started building it a few days ago, am in no rush. Here's the progress to date:

IMG_20210401_180554.jpg

Started fitting cables yesterday... have run the gear cables along the bars all the way to the stem, so hidden under the tape instead of flopping about in front. I know this will create a little more friction but I think they will be OK. Main problem is with the bar end shifters themselves - it's actually the first time I've ever installed or used a set and they're a bit of a pain!
I'm not happy with the front brake cable either - previous build had a set of V type brakes, so didn't need the hanger. But this time i'm using Suntour XC pro cantis, so am using a cant hanger under the stem. To avoid running the cable over the stem, I've fitted a short section of "flexible" V brake curved tube... will post a pic later as it will make more sense. Curves are quite tight but again cable moves freely. it's either that or use a fork mounted bolt on hanger thingy, which will probably have a better cable run, but be more flexy itself. I will try and move the stem up a little more if I can find the right combination of spacers, but at the moment there's no perfect solution...

I’m doing a similar build with a Roughstuff, and I’ve got a Paul Funky Munki as a stem mounted hanger, but yet to cable it up. Alternative for me (with a quill stem) is to use an integrated roller or similar, that’s my fall back.
Also using bar end shifters but I’m using a set of Paul mounts on the top of the drops, which seems a neat solution, but having used that area for bar bags and lights, I am wondering whether mounting them as intended on the ends would just be simpler!

I've yet to ride with the barend shifters, and I'm not sure if I'm convinced... I might just go back to DT mounted shifters and be done with it! will try and give it a go first though... I don't want to use STI or ergos, and the build is 7 speed anyway so they would need faffing about to get working. trying to keep things simple with this one!

front brake can probably be sorted, it will just mean some trial and error. I might try the fork mounted hanger, as with that I'd also have enough exposed outer cable to be able to run an inline adjuster

I've yet to ride with the barend shifters, and I'm not sure if I'm convinced... I might just go back to DT mounted shifters and be done with it! will try and give it a go first though... I don't want to use STI or ergos, and the build is 7 speed anyway so they would need faffing about to get working. trying to keep things simple with this one!

front brake can probably be sorted, it will just mean some trial and error. I might try the fork mounted hanger, as with that I'd also have enough exposed outer cable to be able to run an inline adjuster
Personally, if you're going to go with the bar end shifters, I'd put the stem the other way round. I find a slightly higher handlebar is more suited to bar end shifters. Didn't ride anything else when I use to use drop handlebars.

Very nice bike in a great colour.

Lovely frame Foz and already looks like it is coming together nicely. Love the colour.
Looking forward to watching it come together.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie! Build has stalled a little lately, but then they usually take me months anyway... I could probably find some outback dust in there somewhere, will send you a bit if you're feeling homesick 🤣 it's not that easy to find though, it's almost the same colour as the frame...

Cool frame! Can't beat quality fillet brazed custom steel, and the DX build is classy but "workmanlike".
Bar end shifters are ok, for a bike like this I'd prefer them over downtube shifters I think.

Back