Dave Russell - Cracked Chainstay Advice

Clamp the stay much like you'd put a splint on a broken leg...........

Re:

Interesting tip about the brace, crack maybe a little too close to the bb lug, what do you think, piece of thin metal and a load of zip ties? - and no, it doesn't have a bridge so guess was always going to be a weak spot, attached a couple of poor quality pics but you get the idea

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 507
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 507
If you are in for a bodge then a lot of epoxy and glassfibre cloth might do it as a temporary fix...but it depends on how badly the corrosion in the stay has thinned the rest.

Re:

That's not a crack, that's rotted from the inside.

I had a Dave Lloyd Cats Wiskas that did exactly the same and I'm afraid the problem started the day the frame was made.

I had both stays replaced (by Argos) and all was as good as new, if not better.

As stated it does look as though it rotted & needs replacing. Clamping is not really feasible due to the damage being to close to the BB.

Re:

I wondered whether this was my old Dave Russell and indeed it is! :facepalm:

I bought this frame around 6/7 years ago in its original state (no external signs of corrosion) and sent it off to Bob Jackson get the cable guides changed on the top tube (there are still dimples on the TT that relate to this.). It had a full repaint and I built it up and rode it around for a while with no problem. I stripped it down and noticed a pin hole in the stay where one shouldn't have been.
This really peed me off as I'd paid for the frame and full respray.
I tried to sell it at the Manchester bike jumble in 2012 I think with no takers ( due to my full disclosure of the hole).
I sold it on eBay ( again with full disclosure) to a guy who said he would ". Put a bit of epoxy in it and see how it holds up"
I then saw it again about a year or two ago for sale on eBay and messaged the seller pointing out the hole issue and interesting and not surprisingly didn't get a reply.
So you have a 653 DR with a rotted and cracked chain stay - but you knew that anyway :)

Re:

Haha, thanks oldmuthariley, I've seen your post before and figured it must have been the same bike, crazy.

Well, I bought it about 4 years ago from a guy in the Midlands so sounds about right, it was actually being used on a turbo trainer as a fixie so I changed that straight away, no good for Sheffields seven hills!

The bike was in great condition and the paint has held up very well, once changed to a modern group set It became my daily rider leaving the not much lighter CAAD10 in the cellar, a fantastic ride that's been on many adventures, most of the big climbs in Yorkshire and Derbyshire conquered through all weathers, a testimant to the man who built it, as you can probably tell, I'm pretty fond of old Dave!

Bit gutted when I found the rotten stay, I was prepping for Daves 3rd Eroica, kitting out in Ultegra Tricolor when I found the offending article, to be honest I was'nt that surprised, the roads round here are so bad at times it's like mountain biking, many a pothole has been avoided by 'bunny hopping' over said crevasse's - Dave copped well all things considered, thought it was a stress fracture but sounds like that's not the case.

Anyway, I temp fixed it for the event, sanded paint and filled crack with metal epoxy, stupid thing to do I know, not exactly a technical tour de force especially with all the gravel sections on the route but it held up a treat and I got to complete the ride in one piece... Cheers Dave.

For me it's a keeper, too many good times, I'll refurb once I get the funds together, it's a hanger for now, got a refurbed Gios to build now so that'll will keep me busy!

Cheers for the info, been fun

Bit late to the party but you might be able to fix it by silver soldering a fishplate over the top. You'd probably want to strip the paint back and drill a couple of 2mm holes at the ends of the crack to stop it spreading, then make sure the fishplate completely covers everything and extends down the tube a bit to spread the load. That part of the tube is completely in tension so as long as it's stuck on well, I can't see this being a problem even with a bit of internal corrosion.

Re: Re:

drk_peak":1899gi7v said:
.....the roads round here are so bad at times it's like mountain biking, many a pothole has been avoided by 'bunny hopping' over said crevasse's
Aye, you describe Sheffield's roads well

Back