Dave Russell - Cracked Chainstay Advice

drk_peak

Dirt Disciple
I'm prepping my Dave Russell 653 for Eroica this year and to my shock have found that my drive side Chainstay has cracked underneath about 10mm from the bb lug.

The crack is about 15mm across, Naturally, I'm a bit concerned about riding now and also a bit gutted as the paint works in great condition.
I'll post a pic when I can.

Anyone had any experience having a welded temporarily, just to get through the event? - I will have the stay replaced and frame renovated but I'm a bit out of time for the ride!

Cheers

The stays will be 753 so replacement is the only option, I don't think it should be welded.

Arguments will run and run on what 653 is but I wouldn't like it welded as its very thin (especially if it is 753). This can happen if corrosion has set in from the inside so there might be something more than just a crack :)

Shaun

Thanks guys, so no easy (safe) fix then, i'll hang it up until i've put the funds together for restoration, the frames a keeper, rides beautifully, worth the money for the grin factor alone when you pass those plastic bikes on the climbs haha!

Excuse to buy another bike too!

drk_peak":376d95na said:
Excuse to buy another bike too!

You need an excuse to buy another bike? Who knew.

Shame about the crack, but better you found it now.

Re:

Ha, yeah, better now than on a 40mph decent!
I'll bear up and start traulling the classifieds for a quick project, thanks

most common cause for these type of cracks comes from internal corrosion started by the brazing fluxes and for those whom like chrome plating it gets worse if acids are not properly cleaned out afterwards.

Re:

Ah, Interesting, and theres me thinking it may have been a stress fracture, I do jump the odd pothole of which where i live are numerous, comes from my mtb days I guess, not sure if Reynolds 653 is up to that kind of punishment!

Back