Dave Lloyd, Reynolds 753 fillet "chaos theory"...

maverick":gnix2r59 said:
As its a Dave Lloyd it will be worth all the grief that it will bring, it will be a one off, never to be repeated bike, he didn,t make that many of them, but i'm sure he will tell you if you contact him.

cheers for that maverick, and the pm, ill give him a ring...nice one, get your bike posted too i wanna see your work, finished. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

...........update time.

.....well what a day, been to see mark and tim at Argos in bristol, today, and good news, the frame as far as they can see, is going to be ok, i was right in thinking there should have been drain holes in the front forks, and the forks will have to be drilled and treated internally, the front brake bosses are indeed bent, but also thankfully can be saved, the corrosion to the frame, they feel is surface, and in there book not too bad.

it has been a pleasure to talk to mark, hes responce was brilliant, "ah dave lloyd ive got a 653 road frame", was his first remark, and he was very keen!!! this couldnt have been a better responce for me to hear,it made me feel like, a lot of care would be taken, when working on the frame.

as per my first thoughts, he suggested tracking and checking the frame in the jig, to ensure all is well before going too far, which i felt was certainly the right way to go. after talking for about half an hour about the frame, we then got onto the history of dave lloyd, wow, was he good in his day, i have learnt a lot today, and am getting far too over excited for a bloke of my age.........lol.

mark then asked my thoughts for painting the frame, and my first option was to do it myself, ........mmmmmmmmmmm, its very hard to think this when on the wall beside me was a wall of frames all perfectly finished, and awaiting collection by there owners, he then proceeded to tell me, of the the options i could have, and even supply me with genuine reynolds 753 stickers if the frame was refinished by them. god this guy new how to press my buttons..............lol, and also showed me, around the place and all the options, including sum classic road stuff, indy fabs, fat chance, kona, and even an entire fleet of custom painted police bikes, all of which they have done.

because i have still got sum work to finish on my cannondale, and kona, and the fact that i can be furnished with sum original reynolds 753 decals, i decided to let them refinish the frame back to its original glory.

the wait will be normally quite long , but as they could see , how passionate i had become over it, and a tad schoolboy excited..........lol, they did say that once i had made my mind up over the paint scheme, they would do there best to get it finished for my birthday in november.

the question for me now is how do i have it painted?

That's quite some story.
I'd go along with the original paint scheme, you can't really better that can you?, is the pink over black original?

I'm looking forward to seeing the result.

I actually think a one colour finish, either plain or metallic, might look better. As unusual as the "camoflage" style finish is, I think it masks the details of the frame. As to the colour, if the components are going to be prodominantly black, I'd go for a light colour, if components are silver, I'd go for a dark colour to get some contrast. I had a metallic dark purple road bike with polished alluminium components, and I thought it looked great.

Blasphemy young xerxes :LOL: it must stay as per the original paint finish,if not you are just altering history.....best leave that to the american movie scene I reckon :LOL:

NoNoNo, this is a Great British frame made buy a Great builder, in fact, a master builder. The original colour was in its time, novel at best, Pink and Black, not really my cup of Lady Grey tea.

It needs to represent the Great nation that we are, the union flag (its only a union jack when flown from a ship) should be included somehow in the paint scheme, dunno how you are going to do it, but hey.

The guys at Argos are master frame builders with decades of experience, they can probably paint anything, anyway i can't really see you riding any bike with pink on the frame, can you?

I like the idea of contrasting frame components against the finishing colour, also that the colour has to not draw they eye away from the design and quality of the build. Finish with a set of good looking Pace RC35's.

I'm not much of a purist, after all this is Retro Bike, not Restoration Bike, so I don't have any problem with a mix and match approach, old frame, new components, different colour etc.

Back