Dave Lloyd Frame Register

Re:

LL94866 is an 800TRI, it was originally made for WHEELS and is constructed from Reynolds 653.

The TRI was designed to run on 26" wheels (650C) so it is worth checking what will fit. Another tell tale is that it wouldn't have had bottle bosses fitted to the down tube and seat tube when new, but again that is something that could easily have been altered in the years since it was built.

Re:

Hi, I’ve recently acquired a Dave Lloyd, and as I live on the Wirral, and visited his shop in Bebbington I’m quite please about this. I’d like to find out as much as possible prior to restoring it. Unfortunately its been powder coated. I think the serial number is LL 957125, although the 7 could be another 1. It’s a steel frame and Lloyd is engraved on the tops of the seat stays and on the brake bridge. I’m assuming 95 is the year of manufacture. Regards Graham

Chrisfromglossop":21o78utj said:
Cheers for quick response, is it basically same frame as the concept 90 ? Do you know original owner or who it was made for ?

Yes the 800TRI is the same design as the Concept 90 but designed for 650C wheels which Dave thought were faster.

The proportions of the TRI are slightly different to the C90, but made of 653 yours should be a really nice ride.

Dave later made a C90 type frame of road racing proportions for 650C wheels, it was called the Quantum 650, he made quite a number of them and I have one, it's a really quick bike and great fun to ride.

I'm afraid I don't know who ordered your frame from Wheels, that information is not in the register.

Re: Re:

Grab":11lwo0sg said:
Hi, I’ve recently acquired a Dave Lloyd, and as I live on the Wirral, and visited his shop in Bebbington I’m quite please about this. I’d like to find out as much as possible prior to restoring it. Unfortunately its been powder coated. I think the serial number is LL 957125, although the 7 could be another 1. It’s a steel frame and Lloyd is engraved on the tops of the seat stays and on the brake bridge. I’m assuming 95 is the year of manufacture. Regards Graham

1995 is indeed the year of construction. LL951125 is a Road frame made for Steven Powell and constructed from Reynolds 653, that should be a really nice riding bike.

I must confess that I have powder coated my winter bike (a Rourke). It is a dreadful thing to do to a hand made frame, but it is so much more robust that enamel, also much cheaper and at least it keeps a good frame in use rather than shoved to the back of the shed to rust in peace.

Re:

Again thanks for info on the tri 800, I’m aiming to build it up and have a dabble at veterans ttt so ideal platform! It has got 2 pairs of bosses for bottles . Are there any catalogs around with spec sheets

Re:

It's a custom frame and Dave was big into TT bikes, plus there are many examples of very individualised frames that he built, so it may be in the register as an 800TRI but there is no knowing what the original specification was.

There are only a couple of catalogues that I have seen, I am not sure if there is anything in the RB archive but if you send me a PM with your e-mail address I will be pleased to let you have the scans that I have.

Back