Daccordi Rebuild

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Finally getting around to rebuilding my Daccordi as it was in 1986 after canvassing opinion here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=daccordi

Frame stripped down and a few bits ready for cleaning and fitting. It will be a Campag Nouvo/Super Record build as per original spec.

5790260998_2af207c049_b.jpg

The paint is in reasonable nick considering the age and mileage but there are a few chips down to the metal. Unfortunately it isn't one of those Italian frames which is chromed underneath the paint.

5789708491_886f2fcb90_b.jpg

5789706965_827d4f2a6a_b.jpg

5789705529_014bcea39c_b.jpg

The seatstays are flattened rather than round with a sharpish edge on the rear and rounded at the front. The chainstays are also slightly flattened vertically. Was this normal on Columbus SL frames or could it have been done by Daccordi themselves?

5790262386_04d9e99a57_b.jpg

I foolishly sold the original Super Record rear mech, pedals, gear levers and brake levers when I went Ergo a few years back so I had to buy some bits. The chainset/BB are the originals as are the brake stirrups, seatpin and front mech. I couldn't stretch to replacement Super Record brake levers so I'm using some Suntour Superbe ones I had lying around with new generic replacement hoods.

Time to get cleaning!

Mark.

So, I dismantled the Super Record rear mech for cleaning.

5790874139_78813b84ae_b.jpg

The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed a right dodgy part. Someone had forced a 1" woodscrew into the lower pivot instead of the normal jockey cage stop screw! It didn't show up on the 'photo when I bought it and I hadn't looked that closely at the mech until today. No hope of getting a replacement so I'll probably have to get another mech. :evil:

Mark.

Which actual part are you needing Mark? I have a load of NR and SR compatible bits.

Hi Paul,
It's part number 812/1A which is the torpedo shaped grub screw which fits into the knurled spring cage cover part number 4009 on this diagram:

5794477090_d1a11699f7_b.jpg

It stops the cage from rotating round when there's no chain tension. If you have such a thing lying around that would be great but if not Nigel at Campyoldy lists them in his spares section so all may not be lost!

Cheers,
Mark.

I probably have one - but how is the thread in the 4009 part?

Mind you, I've probably got one of those as well!

Hello & good luck with the build - would you like a new Daccordi water bottle for it? - I`ve got one somewhere..... £5 posted?

Rear mech rebuilt and the good news is the thread in part 4009 is OK. I've put in a temporary screw with the correct thread for now.

5799200187_bb68a8fbfd_b.jpg

5799201403_ebf10a71a9_b.jpg

The pulleys need replacing so I've ordered some Tacx ones. Not original I know but it's what we used BITD when the Campag ones wore out.

Mark.

I followed Old Ned's advice and spoke to Chris Marshall about threading the threadless steerer. He was more than happy to put a thread on it for me. I looked around at period correct Super Record headsets but as decent used ones were going for £50+ and NOS were well above that I decided to buy a modern Record for £40 instead. Chris fitted the headset for me as well as doing the work on the steerer.

6155795332_cbdf77e95e_b.jpg

The logo on the headset topnut looks a bit out of place but when I tried an old Super Record one I had lying around it didn't go on very well despite being the same thread type as the new one.

6155796810_841bb074b4_b.jpg

With the original forks back on and everything cleaned up I've started to build.

6155620817_d4789824db_b.jpg

Looking at the forks I decided to try and scrape away the black paint from the blades. It was put there when the steerer was changed to cover up the damage to the chrome. Luckily there wasn't much discolouration and no real damage. The end result looks much better so I'll not bother getting them re-chromed.

6157671989_c91ce21ff6_b.jpg

Back