Dura Ace 7400. A quandary.

Sir Neil d'Menture

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a decent frame sat in the garage doing nothing. 531 tubing. Original 1980/1990 paint. Campag drop outs, Record headset, you get the drift. I have a pair of 8 speed Mavic wheels that will fit nicely into it. I had an idea of fitting it out with DA7400 and making it a nice summer bike.
Looking around I saw this gruppo advertised.....

Guy has now made me an offer of £234.00 so I'm a bit stuck because:-
1) That cassette is in a shoot state and is unlikely to work with a new chain. Plus it looks like close ratio or maybe even straight through which is no use round here.
2) The brakes have the screw insert missing and somehow I would have to source that bit by begging on here!
3) Crankset is stated to be square taper but the photos show nothing so who know what condition the fittings are. Could be rounded off.
4) Chainrings are 53/43 and would have to be replaced with something that I could actually use. A pair of decent rings will set me back £100 or so.
5) One lever is badly scuffed which may or may not be solely cosmetic.
6) Everything just look scruffy and ill maintained.
7) Postage at £16 is simply not on. I could drive there for less than that.

My initial thoughts are to walk away. Then I though of offering £200 delivered. But as this whole project is a want rather than a need my gut reaction says to walk away and just make the frame into a turbo bike with bits that I have lying around.

Am I right to think that this gruppo is best avoided, or are there any good reasons for making him an offer?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Patience is the name of the game… as if you wait a more prestine set may come along…as that set is worth less than £200 looking at its condition

Latest posts

Back