Cyclists care more about the common good

Question is really how many pages can we stretch this thread to .

I am off for a walk followed by a bike ride . I will report back on my observations . Or lack of .

Question is really how many pages can we stretch this thread to .

I am off for a walk followed by a bike ride . I will report back on my observations . Or lack of .

Quickly looking at the authors of the original paper, 2 of them may have gotten a thesis for their doctorate out of it, so I see no reason why we could get to a few pages from it. :)

I find these types of discussions interesting. I'll openly admit to not having read the article in question, but will add to the conversation regardless.
Is this making the assumption that people either walk, cycle or drive? I do all three don't you?
Also, caring for the common good or caring in general is about the type of person you are, not how you get about surely?
I feel like I care about the environment, my local area and the common good regardless of how I'm travelling at the time and some people don't give a toss about anything or anyone, and I have met them whilst walking, cycling and driving.
People are people.

first thing i thought was if i interact with more people there's more chance i'll hate the guts of more people!!:LOL:
That is me. The general public and I should not mix.
I find these types of discussions interesting. I'll openly admit to not having read the article in question, but will add to the conversation regardless.
Is this making the assumption that people either walk, cycle or drive? I do all three don't you?
Also, caring for the common good or caring in general is about the type of person you are, not how you get about surely?
I feel like I care about the environment, my local area and the common good regardless of how I'm travelling at the time and some people don't give a toss about anything or anyone, and I have met them whilst walking, cycling and driving.
People are people.
Yes. If you're a twat, you're a twat in a car, on a bike or walking.

I suppose what the original article (note, it's an article, not a study) is trying to suggest is that a persons embodiment within an environment is considered a causation for an emphatic response to the plight of others rather than as I think it maybe, a correlation between you choice of transport and your environment. Given the field, it is decidedly difficult to categorically define the point at which one becomes the other, there are so many variables surrounding a persons emotional response that it's completely impracticable to draw any conclusion from the study and certainly not one that isn't based on the authors opinion.

there, a real response to the article (which I have read) and still consider it to be something of a massive grey area with way to much emphasis put towards the opinion of the author with little scientific rigor.

I suppose what the original article (note, it's an article, not a study) is trying to suggest is that a persons embodiment within an environment is considered a causation for an emphatic response to the plight of others rather than as I think it maybe, a correlation between you choice of transport and your environment. Given the field, it is decidedly difficult to categorically define the point at which one becomes the other, there are so many variables surrounding a persons emotional response that it's completely impracticable to draw any conclusion from the study and certainly not one that isn't based on the authors opinion.

there, a real response to the article (which I have read) and still consider it to be something of a massive grey area with way to much emphasis put towards the opinion of the author with little scientific rigor.
Put far better than I could.

Back