Cycling The Ridgeway - Then and Now?

To be honest the 2023 shot looks light years better,sorry if anyone doesn’t agree but honestly this just demonstrates what happens when 2 tons of Land Rover bares it’s teeth.Can any of you honestly say you would rather ride the top photo than the bottom,seriously ?
Lewknor2005.jpg
Yes, I can definitely say that I would prefer riding the trail above to riding smooth narrow single-track.

By pre motor-vehicle restriction standards the above image is quite tame. Imagine what it's like to ride the above section when the surface has turned into quagmire and puddles after a heavy downpour. Even the smooth single-track section will turn into sticky gloop when the ground is saturated and the hooves of horses have churned things up a bit.

Tacking what ever the trail throws up is just part of the challenge of cycling off-road in the British countryside, especially given our unpredictable weather. Though riding the above when it was buried in snow would be a complete nightmare.

The Ridgeway is a trail with a dual personality. In summer, a friendly place to stop and picnic, watch the skylarks and take in a landscape steeped in history. But In winter, when riders are confronted with unfavourable weather or poor trail conditions, cycling times can more than double. This is because strong headwinds are not at all helpful when riding along an exposed ridge, wheels don’t roll as well on soft waterlogged turf, and sticky mud can clog up wheels, brakes and gears.

Journey's End, Avebury February 1986
Though I have fond memories of easy-going sunny rides and being pushed along by warm summer tailwinds, it is the challenging winter rides that I best recall. Over the past forty years I have cycled to Avebury many times. However, no arrivals quite compare with February 1986 when, as I approached along a frozen Ridgeway and the light began to fade, the first flurries of approaching snow settled on the downs beside me. As I turned off the Ridgeway onto the Herepath and began my decent towards Avebury, the snow deepened, replacing the frozen turf and chalk beneath my wheels. Soon I was cycling between the snow-topped banks of the henge towards the ancient stones. The snow had capped the megaliths as it must had done an inconceivable number of times since the stones were first erected some four and a half thousand years ago. As dusk gave way to frozen night, I cycled through pristine white powder to the welcoming shelter of the bed and breakfast where my long ride from Streatley came to an end.

The electronic shutter on the camera used on the above ride failed, because it could not cope with the cold.
So here is a photo from an earlier ride in January 1985 on the Ridgeway at Coombe Hill in the Chilterns.
View attachment 790926

Below is a recent video of someone cycling the section of the Ridgeway described above, where the ridder falls off and breaks some ribs.
The relavant section of the video is between 07:06 and 10:29:

BITD, I used carry an emergency whistle and survival bag in winter in case I suffered an injury, after which I was unable to continue riding. The Ridgeway in winter could be a lonely place where you saw no one for hours and it would have been a long wait, possibly overnight, before anyone came along.

For anyone not familiar with riding on chalk it can be a very treacherous surface. Especially so when wet and the wheel polished surface had developed a slimy coating of algae as invisible and slippery as black ice. Back in the 80's, a scary fall on wet chalk that prompted me to develop riding techniques for coping with such surfaces and in particular for dealing with wipe-out inducing cambers.
Gorgeous bike.

Any pics of said Land Rover?😊
Unfortunately not. I remember them driving at walking-pace over the rutted sections, rocking alarmingly from side-to-side as we overtook them. Once we overtook three of them in convoy, but they later drove past when we were sat outside a pub having lunch. After a good lunch we set off and in no time had overtaken them again.

Thus several tons of 'teeth baring' Land Rovers came to be defeated twice by a handful of puny, but well fed, teeth-baring cyclists.
🚲 🚲🚲 🛻 🛻🛻

This reminds me of the old joke: How can you tell how happy a cyclist is? - By counting the number of flies stuck in his teeth. 😁

To be honest the 2023 shot looks light years better,sorry if anyone doesn’t agree but honestly this just demonstrates what happens when 2 tons of Land Rover bares it’s teeth.Can any of you honestly say you would rather ride the top photo than the bottom,seriously ?
I would agree, I have been shouted at, ive had the death stares, occasionally stopped to say my peace but generally just ignore ignorance when driving. I would prefer the recovered picture to ride or potter along in my land rover.
Ive driven older people who cannot ride, etc on afternoon rambles allowing access to the countryside aswell as my own recreational driving..
Ive cleared fallen trees, cut back branches etc.. I am not in the world of smash it up, get stuck all for a giggle brigade, fools in my eyes..
Fact is, if I can legally drive a lane, thats different to being entitled to ruin the days of others.. I used to get annoyed about the ignorance of horse riders locally on soft lanes they literally destroy them so even they cannot use them, because they are so bloody selfish, only a few lazy indifferent souls who feel its tough I can go somewhere else.
I drive places I am allowed when I can do so without in my view impact on the use by others.
I do not have big tyres, a winch, any of that crap because I dont need it, People who need all that should be in play sites in my opinion.
A standard land rover defender should never be stuck in a public accessible lane, if they are then they have not considered anyone else.
So despite all this ive been shouted at waving fists etc, as I crawl past considerately on lanes my vehicle , the speedo not registering ...
Ive had the same on a bike with idiots on horses.. everyone just needs to learn to be cool and work with everyone else even when the individuals may not deserve it.
Grinds my gears people say things like this , sweeping statements its most likely not one land rover of two tonnes, its maybe lots of them, tractors which may weigh twenty or thrity tonnes with a trailer up, and any other variant, and lots of it at times that make no sense viewed with less selfish eyes.
As someone suggested the restrictions to ensure people who cannot make a respectful judgement don't have too as the lane is closed to them at that time, work and should be more widely deployed.

I agree wholeheartedly that people who use the countryside should be considerate of the needs of others and where they are not, remedies need to be found. Ultimately, restrictions should be put in place in order to stop trails from becoming so damaged that people are put off using them.

Having said that, I doubt that the horse riding fraternity have ever been excluded from using bridlepaths because they are causing too much damage.

I personally, never get annoyed when I come across trail damage, as I see this as just part of the experience of riding off-road. Also, some of the worst damage I have ever seen was caused by Forestry Commission vehicles going about their legitimate business. My most annoying experience was cycling for several miles down an Oxfordshire bridleway only to find it totally overgrown, just short of its far end. With no roads or rights of way crossing the bridleway, I had no option but to backtrack and eventually arrived back at the start of the bridleway about an hour later.

BITD there was only one section of the Ridgeway that was unrideable. It was short, narrow dog-leg section between Barbury Castle and Hackpen Hill. Here is a photo from the internet, that looks like this section used to:

Riding-the-ridgeway.jpg
(Photo from adventurebikerider.com)

The last time I rode this section about two years ago, it had been levelled, gravelled and looked like a section of a Sustrans route.

Back