Cycling in northern Brittany/Normandy (Roscoff to Cherbourg)

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A cycling mate and me have started to talk about taking a few days to do a little tour somewhere new. For various reasons we've settled on the idea of getting the ferry to Roscoff in Brittany and riding for probably 4 days through northern France to Cherbourg, where we'll get the return ferry home. This sort of tour is not the kind of cycling I normally do so I'm just looking for any general advice, and on cycling in this region (places I shouldn't miss or should avoid etc!).

The aim is to ride some nice new roads in a new area, see a bit of coastline, enjoy the weather and a fair few cafes etc along the way. We'll be on modern road bikes, travelling as light as we can and not bikepacking, so it'll be a couple of B&Bs along the way. We have four possible dates in May and June, and enough flexibility that we won't do it unless there is decent weather to make the most of it - anything except a pleasant prevailing westerly wailwind and it won't happen!

I've recently started to think about the route and have the following provisional plan, 280 miles with around 7000ft of climbing in total. I'm trying to avoid the biggest A-roads and see the best bits of coast as well as some nice inland towns and countryside. I'm thinking that 4 days at 70-75 miles per day should mean about 6 hours in the saddle and allow plenty of time to take it at a leisurely kind of pace.

ScreenHunter_05 Mar. 04 16.25.jpg

I'd be pleased to hear any thoughts/advice! Cheers :cool:

I've done part of the Tour de Manche cycling to the ferry at Portsmouth over to Cherbourg. Then it's some quiet roads but mainly off road green ways on old railway lines, tow path and river paths. Wild camping all the way popping in to the camping in the morning or evening to use the shower 🚿. Finished at St Malo for the ferry back to Portsmouth 👍

20190727_070151.jpg 20190727_070236.jpg 20190728_123118.jpg 20190728_080937.jpg 20190728_140945.jpg 20190729_064749.jpg 20190729_085437.jpg

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add this link, I find it's the best resource for cycling in France with all the route's and clearly shows the off road green sections. The Tour de Manche route is signed very well (no need for sat nav, just map and compass) and can't believe how quiet (and flat) the off road sections are, well apart from the birdsong , cycling for miles without seeing a car or person. I find the wild camping the perfect way to end such a peaceful days cycling away from the campsites full screaming kids, barking dogs and music blaring.. cycling in France is just perfect 👍🇲🇫

Last edited:
Albeit 30 odd years ago now, and undoubtedly some things have changed, I used to live in the Lannion area and cycle a fair bit; MTB and long distant road; even the Bernard Hinault sportive. Long before a lot of these cycle routes, so @vcballbat advice will probably be better and more up to date than mine.

From memory, I can't remember the Roscoff to Morliax route being particularly enthralling, same with Guingcamp and St Brieuc.

Consider going to Lannion, touring around the Cote de Granit Rose, and then take the train from Lannion to St Brieuc or even Dinan (which is worth seeing in itself). IMHO 4 days with that mileage won't give you sufficient time to see the better places in some detail and at a relaxed pace.

I think I wouldn't bother to actually go and see Mont St Michel on the inside, it does indeed look more impressive from a far. It can be absolutely overcrowded with tourists too like St Malo.

Albeit 30 odd years ago now, and undoubtedly some things have changed, I used to live in the Lannion area and cycle a fair bit; MTB and long distant road; even the Bernard Hinault sportive. Long before a lot of these cycle routes, so @vcballbat advice will probably be better and more up to date than mine.

From memory, I can't remember the Roscoff to Morliax route being particularly enthralling, same with Guingcamp and St Brieuc.

Consider going to Lannion, touring around the Cote de Granit Rose, and then take the train from Lannion to St Brieuc or even Dinan (which is worth seeing in itself). IMHO 4 days with that mileage won't give you sufficient time to see the better places in some detail and at a relaxed pace.

I think I wouldn't bother to actually go and see Mont St Michel on the inside, it does indeed look more impressive from a far. It can be absolutely overcrowded with tourists too like St Malo.
Mont St Michel is a tourist ants nest !! Keep it as a mystery in the distance.

Reactions: Woz
It's like a feckin great big Rock Cake looming in the distance just waiting to be scoffed up 🎂 All I wanted was un pain au raisin.🤣

View attachment 716787View attachment 716788View attachment 716784View attachment 716794
Didn't go over the causeway, been there before for the Tour de France time trial a couple of years earlier 🇲🇫👍 Twas a very hot day, think Frome won and we were absolutely smashed and had to be at Fougeres by morning for a stage start.. happy days 👍 I got hooked and had to return.

Last edited:
Back