Lightweight Raleigh tourers 50 years apart restomod

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
Had I been around and in the market for a new bicycle in the late 1940s early 1950s it would have been one of these a Raleigh RRA Tourist, I have no interest in drop handlebars and going fast, it is about comfort on a long day for me.

Record Ace 18.jpg
I had not expected to ever own an RRA as an original one is more than I am prepared to pay for what would be an occasional sunny day ride but last year a frameset from 1947 turned up on Ebay in my size for a resonable price and given its condition anything would be an improvement I felt free to make it a bike I liked the look of and could use.

IMG_1154 - Copy.JPG

I was also looking out for a more up to date Raleigh tourist that I could use for single and multiday trips and perhaps a longer tour in the future and eventually bought this nice condition, one owner Raleigh Royal from 1997 that I bought collection only from Kettering so I packed my bags and got on the train planning to ride it home, two days and a very sore behind later I gave up and took the train for the last part of the trip noting a change of saddle and bars was much needed.

IMG_0830 - Copy.JPG

A few modifications later, riser bars and a nicely worn in Brooks saddle I set off for a test ride to see how I got on with it and found it to be much to my liking and decided to set out to update the whole bike with mostly new parts, despite its good condition, it had obviously been well maintained it had also done a lot of miles and some of them were showing signs of wear and tear.

IMG_0913 - Copy.JPG

I rather like Velo Orange components which I found to be good quality with a retro look and by keeping an eye on Ebay for second hand and offers have managed to kit the bike out with their components for a reasonable price. I also like hub gears and have found the Shimano alfine 11 speed fits the bill very well with enough range for an on road touring bike, an honourable mention to Sven Cycles in Weymouth who brazed on the gear cable guides while I waited.
I had both frames blasted and sprayed them with cans, they are not perfect but pass the six feet test and look ok at three, the Royal has been decalled as an RRA homage and they have matching decals which I believe are from the 1930s models and I rather like.

This morning was the first test ride of the Royal down to the sea which was nice before the crowds got there and the heat built up too much.

IMG_1870 - Copy - Copy.JPG

The RRA has been up and running for a while, I did use almost period correct nos Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs and 27 x 11/4 rims which I had been saving for the right bike, nos Bluemels mudguards but the other parts are newer the crankset and seatpost being Sakae topped of with a Brooks saddle from the 1970s and Kalloy bars and stem.

IMG_1528 - Copy.JPG

There are some notable improvements over 50 years but the RRA is still a fairly usable bike for something that is now 75 years old and has become an everyday shorter journey bike as long as I avoid some of the steeper hills around here. The Royal is still a great touring bike which weather permitting I hope to take on a longer trip next week.

IMG_1887 - Copy.JPG

Great work on two very nice Raleigh models. Great that you have set them up to make them more suited to yourself and hence, keep them on the road.
Well done.

Jamie

An update on my Raleigh Royal, last July I was rear ended by a car while cycling down to the supermarket and while I sustained four broken ribs the bike had several components damaged and a dent in the top tube. I had or was able to get receipts from the parts supplier, many thanks Freshtripe for taking the time to send them to me and was able to prove I had spent a lot of money on it and the driver's insurance paid out for repairs rather than a paltry offer for writing it off.
It went off to Argos cycles for a new top tube and a respray and while they were about it I got them to replace the vertical rear dropouts with horizontal and I could do away with the chain tensioner and a third water bottle carrier under the downtube, needless to say they did a great job.

IMG_3069 - Copy.JPG

Chapeau Sir. I admire your single minded pursuit in restoring these lovely bikes.
There is far too much new stuff in the world. However, to create and re-purpose
older frames to meet your requirements is commendable. Well done!

Can't agree more!
Another RRA here, this was built for a Raleigh Director in 1973.
Before and after pics, not changed it a lot - just made it more comfotable whilst keeping the majority of the original components.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF8113.JPG
    DSCF8113.JPG
    597.7 KB · Views: 11
Back