creeping tubs giving offset valves

Re:

Did you rough up the glueing surface of the rims before applying the glue? Is that a thing? I don't know, I've never had tubs, but I seem to remember people doing that?
Another thought that occurs to me is that backing tapes probably used to be organic fibre and are now probably petrochemical. I don't know if that would be a contributing factor? Wouldn't be surprised.

The red Clement stuff was the best glue & if you could still find it is worth a go as this stuff was fantastic. Dunlop was useless in the heat as you could feel the tub moving on the rim.....but you could get high on it though which was a plus :)

Effetto Mariposa Tape is worth a shot as this is very good at holding a tub on the rim.

Re:

Back does not move as badly as the front but there is a gradual tilting of the valve. I have a spare front wheel so I think I will try the continental cement and see how that goes.Whilst I prefer tape to glue at the end of the day tha aim is to fit and forget so if conti glue does it then thats fine by me. Thank you for all the replies.Will eventually add the results to the posting
Regards
Peter

You could re-plan your route so you are ascending instead of descending.
I wonder if a pressure change would make any difference. Perhaps lower would be better as the tendency to creep would be absorbed by flexing more.

I remember hearing that Barry Hoban and Lucien Van Impe were riding the Vaux GP and were staying locally. LvI needed some tub cement and Barry took him to our LBS to get some. The owner placed a tin of Dunlop on the counter and LvI basically threw it back at him saying he only wanted Clement, Dunlop was no good. There is also the tale Barry tells about a TdF stage starting in (I think) Andorra and the first several miles were all downhill. Merckx attacked from the off, everyone was chasing on the descent and by the time they reached the bottom Barry reckoned that all the heat generated by the constant braking had softened the rim cement and allowed his tubs to roll until they were almost riding on the base tape.

droppedout":1ogvxf02 said:
You could re-plan your route so you are ascending instead of descending.
I wonder if a pressure change would make any difference. Perhaps lower would be better as the tendency to creep would be absorbed by flexing more.

The Laws of Gravity suggest that what goes up must come down.

Eventually............ ;)

I know we digress, but Messrs Hoban and Van Impe also rode the “Nottingham Criterium” with their team Sonolor Lejeune in 1970, which my dad helped to organise. I think part of the reason they rode was that the World Championships were only down the road in Leicester that year.

Van Impe won the race and I got press-ganged into helping give the prizes out.

This star-struck 14 year old was too shy to ask for autographs!

Best stuff back in the day regarding glue

s-l400.jpg

Best tub tape sadly banned due to its use of certain chemicals but held a tub strongly to a rim

Vintage-Bike-Bicycle-Advance-Gem-Range-Tub-Tape.jpg

Back