"creaking spokes" is it a thing?

enc

Kona Fan
Remember the mk2 Golf add?

Had a similar scenario on today's ride.

noise coming from back wheel.
silent with the wheel lifted off ground and spun.
silent when riding with my weight shifted forward.
silent when bike angled both left and right in straight line.

sooo, noise only occurs with me in the saddle riding in a straight line.

I checked the rear wheel and its very very slightly out of true

but... the spokes are slightly loose where they cross.... im convinced this is from where the noise emanates!?

Not a Hope Ti-Glide by any chance ?. Mine was creaking, turns out the flanges were cracked. Never had spokes creak as such but I recall reading something similar on STW a while back so it's quite possibly a thing. Maybe as a test try a drop of oil where each spoke crosses and see if the situation improves ?.

Reactions: enc
Yep, it's a thing. However, if tightening up those spokes doesn't fix the creaking, check the jockey wheels on the rear mech, especially if it's more of a squeak than a creak (as per Golf advert).

check everything else first, but yes, it's been known. it normally starts after a ping.

saddle would be my first check (After if greased my knees), then seat post, pedals (I've had one creak only when in the saddle and taking it easy, the rest of the time it was loaded and didn't make a sound), BB. jockey wheels is normally a squeak but don't rule them out.
all of the above can sound like it's the wheel.

if all else fails, burn it.

Don't just go tightening spokes without something of an idea of what you're doing, it you'll end up with a really buckled wheel.
The drop of oil diagnostics up there works well.
Also, check the wheel is seated properly and the skewer is tight, and the seating faces clean and square.
(And how lose is lose?)

Not a Hope Ti-Glide by any chance ?. Mine was creaking, turns out the flanges were cracked. Never had spokes creak as such but I recall reading something similar on STW a while back so it's quite possibly a thing. Maybe as a test try a drop of oil where each spoke crosses and see if the situation improves ?
Not a Hope Ti-Glide by any chance ?. Mine was creaking, turns out the flanges were cracked. Never had spokes creak as such but I recall reading something similar on STW a while back so it's quite possibly a thing. Maybe as a test try a drop of oil where each spoke crosses and see if the situation improves ?.
Hope ti glide … I wish lol. It a deore dx hub mavic M231 rim.

Yep, it's a thing. However, if tightening up those spokes doesn't fix the creaking, check the jockey wheels on the rear mech, especially if it's more of a squeak than a creak (as per Golf advert).
Almost certain it’s from where the spokes cross. I can sort of recreate the sound pulling on them together. Will try and get a clip up later.

check everything else first, but yes, it's been known. it normally starts after a ping.

saddle would be my first check (After if greased my knees), then seat post, pedals (I've had one creak only when in the saddle and taking it easy, the rest of the time it was loaded and didn't make a sound), BB. jockey wheels is normally a squeak but don't rule them out.
all of the above can sound like it's the wheel.

if all else fails, burn it.
Deffo not a squeak. Jockey wheels are clean and lubed.

Don't just go tightening spokes without something of an idea of what you're doing, it you'll end up with a really buckled wheel.
The drop of oil diagnostics up there works well.
Also, check the wheel is seated properly and the skewer is tight, and the seating faces clean and square.
(And how lose is lose?)
I have no intention of tightening spokes. That would be left to bike shop.

they will creak when you squesh them by hand, but they aren't normally moving about enough to do it when riding and it can point to much more serious issues like rim eyelets being kaput or flanges giving way.
find yourself a candle.
rub it on a cloth till it looks like a wax jacket.
slip it between the spokes to transfer the wax to the spoke interface.
if it still creaks it's something else. :)
is this on the inbred? if yes, take the bolts out the rim brake bosses and luggage mounts and try again.

Back