Confession time.....I'm gravel curious !

I go through this dilemma often (and haven’t solved it), but so far I’ve persuaded myself of the following:

1. don‘t buy a new bike as it’s unnecessary and wasteful.

2. Old 700c bikes with anything approaching tyre clearance (cx, touring etc) are a bit cramped and steep to wrangle off road with joy.

3. old 26” bikes are strong, laid back and practical - but usually too small.

4. some old 26” bikes have high front ends and tall head tubes

5. bars need to be wide - drops or otherwise.

6. drop bars don’t work unless they are wide, flared and on a properly high stem. (And even then, braking is .... unrelaxing)

7. I can’t find another 26” bike with a high front end and tall head tube, why did I sell that cannondale?

8. I should just ride my other bikes and shut up

8. **** it I’m gong to buy a new gravel bike - life is too short for this shit

9. Back to 1. ............

I go through this dilemma often (and haven’t solved it), but so far I’ve persuaded myself of the following:

2. Old 700c bikes with anything approaching tyre clearance (cx, touring etc) are a bit cramped and steep to wrangle off road with joy.

6. drop bars don’t work unless they are wide, flared and on a properly high stem. (And even then, braking is .... unrelaxing)

7. I can’t find another 26” bike with a high front end and tall head tube, why did I sell that cannondale?

I've had this conversation in my head for months and months 😀

Yep ... here´s my Sunn frame graveled:

And yes, lotsa fun delivered

Interested to know what V brakes they are that allow the pads to be mounted so high for the 700c rims. I can imagine the pad being mounted up so high makes the V's more compatible with regular road levers but what is the braking like? lever travel? stopping from a brisk mph? etc compared to v's in normal mode.

Went through very similar until a chance C2W option made the decision for me. For years I have been convincing myself that the garage full of retro was my gentle trail option, whilst never actually riding them! Since I got the GB I've been getting out more than at any time since I was a kid.

The whole gravel thing has been around a fair few years now so why not a second hand bike? Something like an early Orange RX9 won't cost a fortune but ticks all the right boxes.

I haven't bought a new bike in 32 years! Like cars, motorcycles, i just can't see the point in taking the first massive depreciation hit ( unless your going to keep it say..... errrr....32 years, then the depreciation figure becomes more managable).

Like several of you, it is very much a circular argument. Sadly, its one i now need to square, as i cant continue riding what i have as a daily driver sadly.

The gravel curious side, has now be scratched.....cheers guys for the feedback.....and shelved.

Although its not quite as zippy, bit more ugly and less agile ( then so an i compared with 40 years ago!) the answer is just a bigger head tube, mixed with some 425mm a to c forks. Its a no brainer as its really just a swap of components and a frame sale to get the cash back! Im then 50mm up, before I've even touched a head tube spacer!

Plus, to be honest, im all set up for 26".....spares.....parts...tyres...etc etc.

Interested to know what V brakes they are that allow the pads to be mounted so high for the 700c rims. I can imagine the pad being mounted up so high makes the V's more compatible with regular road levers but what is the braking like? lever travel? stopping from a brisk mph? etc compared to v's in normal mode.
I think they are the 700c version of the forks.....

Goshums, this was 8 years ago but here's an Orbit CX pre-gravel gravel bike that was a hoot but a bit small

orbit-4-jpg.231242

Back