Colnago Super 1977 project

I have a SR titanium spindle and new bearings with no matchin cups... but tody a "new" BB arrived, a titanium 114 mm OMAS, that was a nice & stronger replacement for the ealry titanium super record bb during late 70's and 80's. Not in super condition, but threads and bearing are very well. I thing this will go nice while I'm waiting for the '77 crankset to arrive...

IMG_20230724_110739_1.jpg

'77 Crankset is here, but chainrings are newer (see "BREV" instead of "PATENT"). Anyone interested to flip these let me know please ;)

DOCUMENT_PICTURE.jpg

Just an update of current build, with the Titanium OMAS BB and '77 crankset. Still looking for a period correct nisi wheelset .....

IMG_20230801_132014.jpg

Just received a nice wheelset from Italy for the build . A pair of Nisi Countach Mercurio d'Oro 1977 rims on Super Record hubs, and 126mm spaced. I will sell the 120mm spaced ones I bought by mistake;( if anyone interested.

I have also a 14-32 Regina Synchro 7 speed freewheel for the climbs and not sure to make myself a modified record cage or just look for a period correct Suntour rear derailleur that copes with that. Tempted also to get a 14-34 freewheel....
IMG_20230824_192624.jpg

Are the hubs truly Super Record with Ti axle? They were made for a very short period of time ('73-'75?) due to cracking; I assume due to an improper alloy and/or poor engineering regarding the stress they would be subjected to. Hubs for later SR gruppos were the Record hubs with steel axles.
I have a bunch of Colnago bikes/frames. I think your frame is older than '78 given that there is no "COLNAGO" engraved on the stay caps. The exposed nutted brake mounts are definitely a sign of the earlier builds, as well as the blank fluted stay caps. Since Colnago would make changes during a model year it is hard to date, but I would go no earlier than 1976 and no later than 1978; but I believe the '77s and newer all had the engraved stay caps. I think the '75 and earlier crowns only had the "clubs" panto, and in either late '75 (frames for '76 model year) or by '76 the crowns had the "clubs" and "COLNAGO" pantos. The Molteni orange may have also been offered in specific years, but you could pretty much order any color of choice, chrome, and braze-ons as my friend did when in Italy so some features cannot help to further clarify its year (his was a '79 frame without any braze-ons except the BB topside cable guide channels). I have no idea as to the decal difference, but I would agree that they would have matched colorwise. You might want to use a magnifying glass to determine which decal most matches the patina of the paint (marks from polishing/cleaning), but I tend to think that the seat tube decal is correct (although it still may have been replaced). The other feature that pretty much puts it at 1977 or later is the Nuovo Record rear drop-out (indicated by threaded mounting holes) for the Campy portacatena system which was introduced circa '77-'78 in a Campy catalog supplement and I think was dropped by '82 (2 hole drilled drop-out not shown in '82 catalog even though the actual 2 bolt chain holder that mounts on it was still available). I doubt that you would find that feature on a '76 or earlier frame (except test frames, etc.), but those drilled drop-outs were still being used by builders into the early-mid '80s due to using up old stock. Another feature is the chain stay bridge which started as a small hollow tube and then was changed to a solid (I think) hourglass shaped piece. I know the tube style bridge was at least used up to model year (frames made in late '79 to mid '80) 1980, changed circa late '80-'81.

Last edited:
Interesting. I especially like those cranks.
I didn't know campagnolo used titanium back then.😀

But please put a lid on that open plastic container tub thingo with the BB cups and spindles inside.
You're just asking to knock that over and spill all the little loose balls out and straight onto your shag pile rug.
Of course I speak from the experience of having to use a magnet to recover all the missing little blighters.😅

In all my time in the trade I never, ever saw a true Super Record hub. Pedals, bottom brackets, even seat pins (Super Record pins had lighter alloy saddle cradles than those on Record pins), but never a hub with a titanium axle.
OMAS did a fair range of light alloy substitute bolts for cranks, chain rings and seat pins etc.

In all my time in the trade I never, ever saw a true Super Record hub. Pedals, bottom brackets, even seat pins (Super Record pins had lighter alloy saddle cradles than those on Record pins), but never a hub with a titanium axle.
OMAS did a fair range of light alloy substitute bolts for cranks, chain rings and seat pins etc.
I did have a Super Record hub that came with a wheelset (only the front axle was Ti; I assumed the rear axle was replaced with a steel axle or the hub completely replaced with a Record hub) I had decades ago. I think it was dated '74 on the nut. I don't think the previous owner knew it when I bought the wheels, but the axle looked a bit different from the standard Record axle which made me check it with a magnet and it proved to be Ti. Those axles (if not damaged) are rare. All of the hubs I see listed as Super Record are all just Record hubs included as part of a Super Record groupset, or are just loose hubs misidentified as SR. I think some listings are mistakes and others are intentional trying to get a better price; same thing happens with the Record 4 hole front derailleur which always seem to be listed as an SR (or NR) unit. Most folks are not aware that the SR front derailleur had no Ti parts, only the black anodized control arms. I think Campy ran a bit of a scam there by charging substantially more for a derailleur identical to the 3 hole Nuovo Record unit aside from being anodized with a black finish.
I was unaware that the SR pins used a different alloy for some parts; thanks for that info. Did all SR seat pins use that same construction throughout its time of manufacture?

Last edited:
Yes, SR pins - both the twin bolt and later single bolt designs had lighter alloy cradles than those on Record pins. At one time I had a single bolt SR pin in 27.0 diameter which I used on a winter bike, the top cradle had a steel nut insert, most likely to stop threads being stripped out of the light alloy. No idea what happened to it, during the decade or so when I wanted to forget about riding the bike stood out the back of my garage in all weathers and probably ended up at the tip, the only piece I have left is a very tatty SR rear mech.

Latest posts

Back