Clockwork info thread

That decal always confused me when I had it as I've never seen another one on a Clockwork. It's what got me so excited in the first place as I thought it might be a hand made one like yours Sinner but that soon proved not to be the case. Only other place I've seen one is on a Formula.

Looking at it again though it's maybe as you suggest as it says 'built' not 'made'. I guess if it really was a proto it stands to reason it would have had more details then usual sorted over here so that's how they get away with 'hand built' bit?

Good work so far btw tuubz. :cool:

brocklanders023":14tvjyov said:
That decal always confused me when I had it as I've never seen another one on a Clockwork. It's what got me so excited in the first place as I thought it might be a hand made one like yours Sinner but that soon proved not to be the case. Only other place I've seen one is on a Formula.

Looking at it again though it's maybe as you suggest as it says 'built' not 'made'. I guess if it really was a proto it stands to reason it would have had more details then usual sorted over here so that's how they get away with 'hand built' bit?

Good work so far btw tuubz. :cool:

Im shocked it wasn't mentioned previously to be honest given the topic of the posts, but its just nice to see it mounted on a far east frame, shows I didn't imagine it at least.

I know it was a big undertaking but im surprised you sold it, but then you do have a little one on the way... :cool: And I know how it can be with some of this stuff, every where I look at the moment there are mountains of work... :oops:

Anyway heres an old image for the thread.... :cool:

Attachments

• A CRATE OF ORANGE..jpg
    A CRATE OF ORANGE..jpg
    88 KB · Views: 188
That's quite a photo - well cheesy!

The frame seems to have a mix up of decals. Were they applied at the same time? Does the frame use both Infinity and Prestige tubing?
The Orange logo decal uses an early 90s 'techno style' font for the 'hand built' strapline. The 'hand built' may mean assembled. Was this decal applied at a later date over something else?

Attachments

• 8B0pJRW.jpg
    8B0pJRW.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 178
It was a shame to let it go but at the time I had very little space and when I realised it wasn't a hand built one I lost interest as it needed a lot of work and I didn't think I'd have the time, ability or funds to do it properly. I'd have had to establish the exact history of it before committing and I just didn't think I'd be able to (as is proving to be the case). On top of that, it really needs a full re-paint + new decals making up and you know how I feel about those these days. ;)
I get more enjoyment from finding vgc+ originals then restoring so better to give that job to someone else. If it had been hand built or if I found a Formula that needed a full resto then that might be different.

groovyblueshed":1g7fk9eu said:

The frame seems to have a mix up of decals. Were they applied at the same time? Does the frame use both Infinity and Prestige tubing?
The Orange logo decal uses an early 90s 'techno style' font for the 'hand built' strapline. The 'hand built' may mean assembled. Was this decal applied at a later date over something else?

I would think the fact it even exists, leaves little doubt. As for the Handbuilt/assembled, this is exactly the point I was making.

brocklanders023":yccu4zrc said:
It was a shame to let it go but at the time I had very little space and when I realised it wasn't a hand built one I lost interest as it needed a lot of work and I didn't think I'd have the time, ability or funds to do it properly. I'd have had to establish the exact history of it before committing and I just didn't think I'd be able to (as is proving to be the case). On top of that, it really needs a full re-paint + new decals making up and you know how I feel about those these days. ;)
I get more enjoyment from finding vgc+ originals then restoring so better to give that job to someone else. If it had been hand built or if I found a Formula that needed a full resto then that might be different.

I know you do bud... :cool:

groovyblueshed":2a6hgv2n said:

The decal is period correct and very similar to one found on Colemans Formula from memory. When I had the frame it was suggested that the original owner might have just bought a boat load of decals and plastered them all over as I found it in Halifax (Although I'm not sure they were built there that early, wasn't the original base up in the lakes?). I don't think this was the case though as although Orange would sell you decal kits bitd I can't imagine them dishing out prototype or hand built ones.

brocklanders023":usecaoej said:
groovyblueshed":usecaoej said:

The decal is period correct and very similar to one found on Colemans Formula from memory. When I had the frame it was suggested that the original owner might have just bought a boat load of decals and plastered them all over as I found it in Halifax (Although I'm not sure they were built there that early, wasn't the original base up in the lakes?). I don't think this was the case though as although Orange would sell you decal kits bitd I can't imagine them dishing out prototype or hand built ones.

You are quite right brocks, even I had issues buying decals as a dealer, and frame numbers were insisted upon.

(imagine someone with a muddy fox, getting it repainted and thinking I fancy some orange decals.)

Also very similar to this, from my Yellow/White '89 (Tange DB, not Infinity) Clockwork...

Attachments

• Orange%20badge[1].jpg
    Orange%20badge[1].jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 172
A small firm Handbuilding bikes in the Uk, that were in the early days of the Sport of mountain biking a Dominant force.

Far east Imports were hard price points to contend with.

Note the Oranges.

Attachments

• Overburys.......A Mountain bike Hanbuilt in the U.K..jpg
    Overburys.......A Mountain bike Hanbuilt in the U.K..jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 170
Back