clipless conundrum.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
As we all know, clipless pedals attained perfection in the 90s with the Onza HO. I tried shimano m525s in the mid 90s and much preferred the feel of the Onzas.

But, I couldn't bring myself to fit onzas to my modern bike, so bought a set of M540s last year. As it turns out, I still don't like the feel of shimanos.

So I bought a set of crank bros. Better, but the release was too loose for me. I guess that leaves Time, but I'm reluctant to shell out on ANOTHER set of pedals that I don't like...

Has anyone tried Time pedals compared to Onza/Shimano/Crank bros? I guess I want something that feels just like the Onzas really :(

Re:

I can't answer the question I'm afraid, but I would say there's nothing wrong with fitting an older part like the Onza pedals, as long as they're in good nick or refurbished. A friend laughed at me when I reused a bottle cage and crud raceguard on my new hardtail rather than buy new ones, but the ones I had were a stealthy black and perfectly functional. This holds especially true for your onzas, as they perform a function to your liking.

I don't know anyone who has ridden Onzas - certainly amongst my pals it would seem that once you've tried Time you don't want anything else.

madmax, it's the cleat and spares availability that is the problem. for my mile munchers I want ease of replaceability, and to have different shoes for different weather.

Hamster, I've heard the same, I guess the only option is to try them with more £££ :(

Re:

As an old Onza HO user myself.
I even liked them with normal shoes etc and no cleats.
Just didn't like the Ti axles wearing away :)

The newer Shimano XT and these wider platform Shimano feel quite different to me than the cheaper and old SPDs and find them comfy and easy to use.
Also I really liked the alternative one others made for a while. (I'll see if I can remember the name).
Saying the the 540 would probably have been OK, but I came via other 3rd part pedals which were nicer.
The wide platform definitely work better for comfort (The onza oddly provided a comfortable support.).

Not tried time though.

This has remined me that its been nearly 30 years 30 YEARS since i started using spd :facepalm:

My 747's are 25 or 26 this year and still going strong

I found very early on that running them loose helped a lot so the knee and ankle werent fixed in place and the foot could float around a bit.

Cleats from various decades changed the feel subtly too

I have some Ritchey that are nice to use but also some Welgo that are terrible (the cleat would hook up so you couldnt take your foot off no matter what!)

So I have 14 pairs of SPD pedals

*which is of no use to you whatsoever*

Re:

Have you tried the Zero degree Crank Brothers cleats, when I first started using Crank brothers pedals(after years of shimano's), I just couldn't get on with the normal cleats, way too much float, I ride slightly heel in so my heels would hit the chainstay before they would release (with hilarious consequences :shock: ), got the zero degree cleats and there is less float (but more than shimano) and I can release without falling off first.

I have been toying with trying magnetic pedals at some point but not been brave enough yet

Re:

Shimano have quite a lot of float now.
The first ones didn't but it's not 1991 anymore (which is a shame)

Onza had loads of float for the time.

Do shops (if you have any) let you try them at all, in the shop?

I used onzas for a couple of seasons. Then a few years on Ritchey WCS (i found the onzas were pretty crap to be fair, too short and easy to roll over.). Then onto Time in about 97 or 98 (i'd already been using TBT pedals on road for 10 years by then.)

Haven't used anything else since. ATAC off road, various Times on road.

Back