Cleland Aventura

Hi Graham

You are right about the handlebars and stem and the other not quite original bits but the are all period original. unfortunately I do not have ant spares apart from a rim and the front tyre is brand new original.

Im afraid Im away for your Wendover bash but do pass on my regards to Geoff

Capn Paul":2qbjmwu5 said:
Hi Graham...
...Im afraid Im away for your Wendover bash but do pass on my regards to Geoff
Will do! I will mention you and your bike next time I speak to Geoff on the phone.

With regard to the "true value" of Clelands I believe that they are very much undervalued,
considering how well they ride for such early bikes and their historic significance.

In 1983 a Cleland Aventura cost £430.00.
So simple logic would value an "as new" one at this price, plus 31 years worth of inflation which totals to £1,267.64. And that's before adding anything for rarity or historic worth.

However my 1988 Highpath built Cleland cost £2,000 and at that time the waiting list to have one built was well over a year.
Factor in inflation and that comes to £4,682.60 in today's prices.

Would I be prepared to pay £4,682.60 for a modern replacement?

Well if the weight could be reduced a little yes! If I could afford the money.
It has always been the most ridden of all my bikes and is the best bike for riding in mud,sand and rain that I have ever owned. In contrast, my top of the range modern carbon fibre mountain bike can not cope with mud. And because its mechanisms are complex and exposed they would be trashed in no time.

My bike with the highest current value is also the least used. My 1985 Alex Moulton AM7.
I guess that this is because there are a lot more Moulton enthusiasts about than Cleland ones.

Capn Paul":236biewv said:
Hi Graham
...unfortunately I do not have ant spares apart from a rim and the front tyre is brand new original.
I have lots of Lelue brake shoes and unused 36 hole, 650b-Mavic Module3 rims. These are not the original Super Champion rims originally fitted to the Aventura, but the stronger box section rims fitted to the Highpath bikes and Cleland Aventuras that were modified by Highpath.

Amazingly, you can still buy 650x54b Hakkapeliitta tyres. It appears that from time to time a batch of these is produced, most probably for the many cyclists in Finland who bought ex-army bikes when the Finnish cycling regiments were disbanded. Instead of the original Nokia or Nokian branded tyres these are now branded as Suomi.
http://www.suomityres.com/hkplstud.html

Thanks for the info I may be interested in some brake shoes because my braking is not the best and wonder if it is the shoes.

Capn Paul":3us7k6yj said:
Thanks for the info I may be interested in some brake shoes because my braking is not the best and wonder if it is the shoes.
It could also be a build up of dust inside the hub or contamination of the brake surfaces with oil or grease. So it may be improved by a simple clean and degrease. If oil has soaked deep into the brake shoe surface then they will almost certainly need replacing.
If everything else is fine but the brake shoes surfaces look shiny (known as glazing) then
can be roughened with sand paper. But don't breathe in the dust as it may contain asbestos.

Of course, if the brake does not activate within a few mm of moving the lever then the cable needs shortening.

If the problem is brake shoe wear then either the activating arm will touch the frame when braking hard or the internal cam will grip against the shoes causing the brake to stick.

For anyone who wants brake shoes:
New brake shoes and springs are £6.50 a pair plus postage. PM me with your details if you want me to send some. Payment by PayPal or cheque is probably easiest.

A pair of brake shoes on a frequently used bike can over 20 years so it's not bad value for money.

Regards,
Graham.

Back