Cleland Aventura

Capn Paul

Retro Newbie
I have owned No 12 from new which may or may not be for sale depending on valuation. It is fully functioning and mostly original
Regards Paul

Capn Paul":216i6575 said:
I have owned No 12 from new which may or may not be for sale depending on valuation. It is fully functioning and mostly original
Regards Paul

Hi Paul,
Would be nice to see some pics. I have No. 19.

Cheers,
Andrew

Capn Paul":gehxf34d said:
Regards Paul
Hi Paul and welcome to RetroBike. I own No 10 and used to go along on Geoff Apps' monthly Wendover rides from 1984-90 and I am currently restoring a 1981 700c Cleland Range-Rider. It's always good to hear from another Cleland owner and that their bike has survived.

Cleland values vary greatly with condition and originality, though I suspect that the Clelands that were modified by Highpath Engineering would also fetch a good prices. I would think that £400 would be a good starting point for an original bike. However, easy to restore bikes that have been well maintained have been known to fetch much more.

You may be interested that Geoff and I are planning a ride from Wendover on July the 12th as well as joining in at the Chiltern Cycling Festival at Amersham on July 13th.
http://clelandcycles.wordpress.com/weekend-rides/

Regards Graham.

Re:

[/attachment]Here are some pics as promised

Attachments

• 20140530_105806 (2).jpg
    20140530_105806 (2).jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 641
  • 20140530_105926.jpg
    20140530_105926.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 641
  • 20140530_105857.jpg
    20140530_105857.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 641
  • 20140530_105940.jpg
    20140530_105940.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 641
I have to say this is the best looking one of these i have ever seen, normally these make my eyes bleed but this is actually quite cool looking

Not sure why, as its probably the same as the others, but to me it looks less ungainly than normal

GrahamJohnWallace":2v2s1i7l said:
Capn Paul":2v2s1i7l said:
Regards Paul
Hi Paul and welcome to RetroBike. I own No 10 and used to go along on Geoff Apps' monthly Wendover rides from 1984-90 and I am currently restoring a 1981 700c Cleland Range-Rider. It's always good to hear from another Cleland owner and that their bike has survived.

Cleland values vary greatly with condition and originality, though I suspect that the Clelands that were modified by Highpath Engineering would also fetch a good prices. I would think that £400 would be a good starting point for an original bike. However, easy to restore bikes that have been well maintained have been known to fetch much more.

You may be interested that Geoff and I are planning a ride from Wendover on July the 12th as well as joining in at the Chiltern Cycling Festival at Amersham on July 13th.
http://clelandcycles.wordpress.com/weekend-rides/

Regards Graham.

Capn Paul":1nqnax13 said:
Regards Paul
Yes it certainly looks to be fully functional and well looked after.
In terms of "mostly original", from a purists point of view:
The derailleurs aren't the Dearhead Shimanos usually fitted at this time, the mudguards are replacements and whilst the chain-set looks correct, on closer inspection it appears to be a TA lookalike, minus the toothless outer bash-ring and original 26 tooth granny ring. The chain-guard is missing but these are easily fabricated from sheet aluminium, using a pattern that I can provide.
Finally the stem is a replacement for the original BMX style and the original CW handle bars
have been replaced by ones that look similar to those fitted to earlier the Cleland Range-Rider model. So they are not out of keeping with the bike.

Paul, have you kept any of the original parts as I am sure that they would be of interest to a potential buyer?

It's good to see that the wheels and brakes are original and still fitted with the original Finnish' Nokia Hakkapeliitta snow tyres. :cool:

I feel sure that with some fresh frame transfers and a quick polish, this bike Would look as good as new. :D

xxnick1975":1ku38unq said:
I have to say this is the best looking one of these i have ever seen, normally these make my eyes bleed but this is actually quite cool looking

Not sure why, as its probably the same as the others, but to me it looks less ungainly than normal
Perhaps you have been looking at too many pictures of 29ers or 650b bikes?

Or maybe it's the non standard handlebars?

Attachments

• 1984 English Cycles Range -Rider.jpg
    1984 English Cycles Range -Rider.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 612
  • Aventura.jpg
    Aventura.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 612
  • Aventura2.jpg
    Aventura2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 612
These threads are always a bit 'how long is a piece of string', but I think even more so with a Cleland.

It will depend greatly on whether there is a buyer with money to spare at the time you want to sell it.

I own number 5, and I paid quite a bit of money for it off this forum. Does it set a benchmark? I doubt it. I'm not sure whether the seller was lucky that I was interested and had the money, or if there was a queue of people behind me also prepared to stump up. It is certainly a fact of life around here that quite often bikes of interest will come up for sale when you (I) don't have the money to spare.

Value is a funny thing though. For the same amount as I paid for mine I have seen Klein framesets for sale. I guess it just proves how subjective it all is. ;)

Good luck with the sale if you do decide that's what you want to do, and hopefully it will end up in the hands of another enthusiast.

Just for info I shall include a picture of #5 which I believe is very original.

4174582167_08ec4376eb_z.jpg

And the Geoff Apps 'rendered' version.

1982AventuraProfile512_zps32785d95.jpg

Back