Claud Butler Cordon Bleu - Cyclocross

Torqueless is right, it can go horribly wrong… :oops:

My personal favourite combo of lugs/lining/tube bands/panels is on my '61 Super Coureur (see link in signature below) I think I got it right :cool: , not that anyone else did in its outings on rbotm….. :cry: boo hoo, goes home with tail between his legs….

Re:

That’s the beauty of the older style lugged steel frames is that they can be painted to such an individual scheme to suite all tastes.
Nobodies choice is right or wrong as long as your happy with It.
Jamie

Re:

Yeah think of your own personal 'worst case scenario' paint job (do 'normal' people ever think of such things?) and it's sure to be right up someone else's alley..

Anyway I won't be causing a diplomatic incident.. Peachy's Super Coureur is OK with me.. there is plenty of white to offset the masses of red and blue- ie it's not exclusively red and blue, and the red is nowhere adjacent to the blue, except maybe in some insignificant detail here or there.. :)

Re:

Just winding back on this a little. The original brochure had suggested the finish for the frame is very straight forward. Main colour of frame a fork is the same. All profiles on the top eyes, crown and lug picked out and then contrasting bands on the seat tube, probably 3 (middle one wider, but could be more). Head tube and lugs remains the same colour as the main tubing.

So, could be duck egg blue, white contrast and then red or gold for the lining, set off by similar signature transfers.

Still, could go the Jurassic Park route, yellow, lime green and red :LOL:

Attachments

• CordonBleu59.jpg
    CordonBleu59.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,274
Re:

You can always go half-and-half.. classic for the peds and Jurassic for the motors.. or vice-versa.. :)

Duck egg blue always looks nice I think.
I seen a Scot with Nervex lugs and this was in just a straight Duck Egg blue with the lugs lined in red. Looked nice.
The nicest I had seen in a long while was the duck egg blue Ernie Clements that Hilary stone had for sale. I think it was the grass tracker that is on the classic lightweights page. Really tasteful and wish I had the money at the time to buy it.
You could then let the little man put the Jurassic stickers on it. :)

Jamie

Re:

So, bit of progress over the weekend, with removing paint. Nearly there, just some of the more difficult areas to get at.

below, front end looks to of had the lower lug repaired at some point, or maybe strengthened.

below, lovely close up of the seat cluster, with the topeyes.

below, bottom bracket with the braze on for the rear cable. Could this be part of the original simplex setup?

below, simplex rear dropouts.

Attachments

• IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3405.JPG
    IMG_3405.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3406.JPG
    IMG_3406.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3409.JPG
    IMG_3409.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3410.JPG
    IMG_3410.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 221
Re:

The last photo of the bottom bracket area showing the matching frame and fork number. Does appear an error was made on the frame number as there is a '2' with a '1' laid over the top! Over zealous by the frame builder perhaps?

And just by way of investigating the colour of this originally there is evidence of blue in the head tube and certainly some small areas around the lugs.

Now, still need some work to remove the last bits of paint before final prep. As for colour, still to be decided. Duck egg blue would work, but i also like copper plating and might replicate that with a rose copper colour off set by white.

Attachments

• IMG_3413.JPG
    IMG_3413.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 218
Back