Classic Raleigh ??? Identification

Forgive my ignorance (lovely frame by the way). :roll: But what was the purpose of the 3 slots under the bottom bracket? Is it merely to keep the weight down? I'd have thought it would just encourage all kinds of dirt into your bottom bracket?

I stand to be shot down with a technological answer...Apologies in advance :facepalm:

Meejoir":33zifpwr said:
Forgive my ignorance (lovely frame by the way). :roll: But what was the purpose of the 3 slots under the bottom bracket? Is it merely to keep the weight down? I'd have thought it would just encourage all kinds of dirt into your bottom bracket?

I stand to be shot down with a technological answer...Apologies in advance :facepalm:

Yep, slotted BBs are purely a weight saving thing, same as drilled dropouts.
Neil

Here are a couple of scans from a 1978 mag........EG bates list of frames and the Raleigh / Carlton in question. They list both a Raleigh and a Carlton ready to buy from stock. I never found much difference between the frames themselves apart from the Raleigh was drilled for a head badge...... have a look at the prices though. More than a month's wage for a lot of people back then.

Shaun

bjcqjk.jpg

iftn3d.jpg

Nice frame and as others have said the world is your oyster when it comes to suitable parts.

If you remove the chainrings from the drive side you should be able use the 3-leg puller on the crank - I did that with my TA chainset that is very similar and needs an oversized remover. The bolts holding the chainrings on aren't the toughest in the world so spray some GT85 or similar onto the threads and leave to soak a bit before trying to undo them.

Mark.

Re:

Hi Mark,

I've just given them a good soak in Fospro. Hopefully they'll undo easily, having said, nothing has been easy with this project so far :shock:

Seeing as though my frame has been resprayed in the past, I am thinking about the Raleigh Team look like this http://radpropaganda.org/wp-content/upl ... cycles.jpg

What is the correct name for the red and yellow paints required for these bikes?
Who is the best supplier of decals?
Would it be wrong for me to restore it like this, should it be restored to original spec? :? It has to be said though, I do like the bright red team bikes.

Geoff.

There's nothing to stop you tricking out the frame in 70's Raleigh livery, everyone shold have one :) just maybe avoid the 753 sticker.

All the known players ( Bob Jackson, Mercian, Argos, Ellis Briggs, Woodrup, Keith Marshall, Kevin Winter......and a lot more) will turn it into a 70's Team bike.

Shaun

There is a pic of what it looked like originally in silver in this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=269922 (also later painted blue). My own Team Pro is currently up in Road Bike Of The Month (shameless plug, sorry) and my thread on building it is here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=282501 . I painted it with Halfords rattle-cans with clear lacquer over the decals from H Lloyd http://www.hlloydcycles.com . I'll look in the shed and post details of the paint colours later.

Re:

Thanks for the colour scheme Guy. That bike really is something you should be proud of.

I managed to get the other crank off today but now I have the BB to contend with. :( Now its off, its really noticeable how rough the BB is.
Does anyone know which tools I need now to get this off? Before this project I thought I had a well stocked tool cupboard :LOL:

I found something interesting whilst taking the front Raleigh sticker off the head tube, three rivet holes, two of which still have half a rivet in. Would that have been standard at the time of manufacture, one at the top and two below? See pics.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• _1018908.JPG
    _1018908.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 766
  • _1018907.JPG
    _1018907.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 766
  • _1018906.JPG
    _1018906.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 766
.............been drilled for a Raleigh headbadge.

I take all I said back about plumping for a Carlton over a Raleigh, I'll get my coat.

raleigh-mag-burner-mk1-head-badge.jpg

Back