Chesini rebuild followed by disaster

Veronese68

Retro Newbie
Afternoon all,
Don't post much on here but do dip in and read a bit from time to time. I posted some time ago as I was looking to buy an old Chesini road bike and scratch an itch I've long held. Being from Verona originally I'd seen a lot of them around when going to visit my grandparents and figured they were common throughout Italy, but they are indeed from Verona and not so common elsewhere. I eventually bought a frame cheap off Ebay that was in Brescia, it was clearly a Chesini as evidenced by the lugs with the Arena logo and Chesini written in the seat stays, but it was stickered as a Vianelli which was a bike shop in Brescia. I had it delivered to a customer in Brescia, and eventually it got back to me in SW London. I got a set of Chesini decals and set about buying up parts to build it up. Being a bit of a miser this took some time and I finished it in May of 2020. Whilst the frame was a little small with a long stem and seatpost it was quite comfortable and rode really nicely. I hadn't put bar tape on it yet as I was still fiddling with set up.
Chesini nearly finished.jpg
I was riding it to work on the 26th of May when a guy in a car overtook me as I approached the back of a traffic queue, cut in front of me and slammed on his brakes. I have now idea what he was thinking or if he thought I'd just disappear but I was just starting to go over the bars when I hit the back of his car. I was then sprawled in a heap on the floor. Initially it didn't feel too bad but then I realised I couldn't wheel the bike. I could have cried.
IMG_20200526_163551.jpg
I walked home, wheeling the bike on it's back wheel. Cursing all the way and the pain increasing as I went. A trip to the hospital confirmed nothing was broken, or so they believed, and a few butterfly plasters holding my eyebrow together. The driver denied any liability of course. Some weeks later after more X rays and then a scan it was discovered I had broken the scaphoid bone in my wrist. But by the time they'd confirmed it 3 months had passed and it had healed. But I had also damaged tendons and it was very painful, to painful to ride for a considerable time. But with time it has eased, although I still don't have the full range of movement. Thie drivers insurance company have conceded that it was indeed his fault so a claim is pending. The bike has been valued and a repair estimate done. So finally I can look at it again with a view to getting it back together. Now, do I get that frame repaired or look for another one? More shopping to be done.

Hope you're making the claim with the help of a professional rather than just doing it diy.

Personally I would scrap the frame. Even with a top class repair, it's no longer a chesini - it would be a hybrid between chesini and the repair shop. Had you had a lengthy history with the frame, I might say different

Also don't accept a full and final settlement until you are certain regarding the long term effects and limitations from the injury

Thanks both, yes British Cycling membership helping with the claim. Still waiting on medical records and assessment. It will never recover fully, I was offered surgery but they weren't sure if it would help and there was a risk of making things worse. I thought it wasn't worthwhile going back to square one for little or no benefit.

Sorry to hear of your accident: car's cutting in front is a common mistake by drivers who are in too much of a hurry and fail to read the traffic "pause" ahead. I usually pass them by a little later and it proves the point that their gains are also often only temporary. So to the frame; look to replace it would be my advice and choose a frame that's the perfect fit for you! Hope you make a full recovery.

Seriously sorry for you, it's typical of 'must get past' mentality combined with zero anticipation by the driver. At least you have all the bits for another frame. I agree, it's probably best to scrap it and move on.

Back