Changing front forks on a Boardman Team CB options?

Thanks ishaw.

Now, the hardest part is getting a new set of forks!

Is something happening throughout the world that nobody has told me about? :rolleyes:
Assume you mean the lack of availability and high prices? Covid an brexit have had a big impact on both. Its just a case of searching and biting the bullet when you find something. The fact that 26er is no longer considered the popular standard doesn't help as many brands have stopped making decent forks in this size now. 27.5 or 29 and you'd be spoiled for choice, though when then only if you want boost hub size.

I do have a set of basically new fox forks which would suit your needs. I bought them from someone who took the seals off and used them on another set of forks. I bought new seals and just need to put them back together and fill with fox oil which I have.

Sorry for the late reply.

You're correct on all accounts regarding availability and high prices, but unfortunately, I've been stung with second hand goods and just can't take the chance.
Thanks anyhow and thank you (and others!) for your info regarding what forks to buy. ;)

Yes, prices have gone a bit mad.

You don't need a tapered fork if you change the lower cup on your headset to one with the same outer diameter cup, but the inner diameter for a 1 1/8 steerer tube. Might open your fork options up a bit, and a lower cup won't cost you much and will come with everything you need to fit it.

The cost of forks and servicing got me into learning how to service and repair forks myself. A couple of services costs nearly as much as a decent set of forks, well before prices got crazy.

Prices are indeed nuts in bike shops now. My LBS charges £21 to change a spoke! :oops: FFS!!!

Anyhow, could I fit a 27.5" fork that takes the same 26" wheel?

I know it would throw the angles out a bit, but the missus doesn't do jumps and stuff. She just plods along! 😌

You could, it would raise the front a bit. I've run 24 inch wheels on a 26 inch sus fork before and it worked fine.

I got in touch with the folks at Boardman, whom are very nice actually and they sent me the following:

I have looked all over for a set of forks for your bike but I have not been able to find anywhere that has stock. It should of originally come with Rock Shox Recon TK, 120mm, tapered steerer, lock out, damping adjust 9mm quick realise. The only forks I can find are a unknown brand on Amazon. I have put a link in the bottom of this email for you to have a look at.

Has anyone heard of these? 😐

To be quite honest, I would rather take my chances with second hand stuff than that new one from Amazon. You mentioned you have had bad experiences, but I can say the community on here has always been honest selling stuff and I've never had an issue. I personally trust members here enough to pay by PayPal 'friends&family', thus keeping prices down, but most sellers are happy to give you the security of 'goods&services' if you're ok covering that cost.
eBay also pretty safe, and has robust measures to recover your money if a rare dishonest seller slips through the net.

Somebody from Boardman seriously wrote "should of" instead of "should have"..!? They really need to proof read emails before sending them..

As has been said, seriously do not touch those forks on Amazon with a 40' barge pole! You're genuinely far better off with a better quality set of pre-owned forks than some lower quality, steel-stanchioned (RS Silver range), coil-sprung option just because they're new. They're only new for one ride..

Madmax1993; I've trusted too many people in the past, with on here and on eBay and got stung, so I just can't do it. 😢

gradAfailure; I wouldn't buy them either, but as I've said...

I was going to buy a new bike, but that also seems to be out of the question.
I visited my local GIANT store and they are only getting three medium size bikes in my price range for the whole of 2021 - and they're already sold! 😲

Will I ever buy a bike again? 🤔

Back