Cautionary tale - Orange Alu 'O'

icsparks

Retro Newbie
Hi all, thought I would share this with you all.. since stumbling across this website last year nostalgia got the better of me and I decided to refurbish my 92 Alu 'O'. I sent the frame away to be striped of paint, checked and resprayed to original colours. I have then spent the latter part of last year cleaning existing components and sourcing NOS where required and gradually rebuilding. Finally last month I was ready for its first outing in many years, but whilst carrying out last minute adjustments I noticed a mark on the downtube adjacent to the headtube, to my horror it wasn't grease but what looked like a crack! After seeking advice I have now had the frame tested using the non destructive eddy current test and confirmed it has cracked. :mad:So what is everyone's opinion .... game over and it's now wall art or repairable?
Look forward to the responses!
InkedDowntube RHS.jpg

Repairs are of course possible, but that looks like it would be requiring a downtube replacement to me, I'd not be happy with a simple weld over.

I'd be more peeved that it was supposedly stripped then checked before the expense of paint. Do you have any recourse with the company that did the checking?

You’ve got to love a natty gusset 😏

On a more serious note, I will have a 17” O up for grabs in the very near future, albeit in silver.

It’s alu - it not deal with repeated stress the way steel does, especially if the tubing is not good quality or the welding is poor. When it goes like this save yourself (or others) from a visit to the MaxFax surgeon and a life of scaring small children and bin it.

Sorry, been out and about bike swapping today.
Pretty sure it’s a ‘92 - not sure which generation but I’ll post a pic and the experts will know 😃

Sorry, been out and about bike swapping today.
Pretty sure it’s a ‘92 - not sure which generation but I’ll post a pic and the experts will know
That would be good. 👍
I believe the following -
1st gen serial no. starting with A9102
2nd gen serial no. starting with A106
3rd gen serial no. starting with A108
4th gen serial no. starting with A112

Back