Category X-Orange Formula.

Thanks for taking the time.

I originally thought a Cooks Chainset/crank would be perfect, but pickings were slim, and cost is prohibitive it seems.

I dont see many Specialized Black Flags these days, and thought it might suit the build.
black flags are way cool with what you've got going on I think, can't wait to see it all together . . . that paint cured yet?

black flags are way cool with what you've got going on I think, can't wait to see it all together . . . that paint cured yet?
All good, but the component arrival is slow.

I did get the original bar refinished though.

thats the one, A cool frame. Need to dig that out mate... :cool:

I love it when this happens, any more yates of the same era in the shadows, then id love to see them, it all adds more History/Dimensions/learning to the story of the time.

(Edit..21/08/23)
Found some more images from 88 and 89 for the Yates Bikes, apparently the BB was done like this to allow width for the 2.125 size tyres at the time
View attachment 771189View attachment 771190View attachment 771191View attachment 771192
Do you remember the competition in MBUK to with a Yates frame?

Pink/Purple fade if I remember correctly, that had a BB of this type.

Lol, but only if you like black.

The Toe clip choice has changed, to the G-Cronos, I thought they were fitting for the build given the Q/R levers style along with a Hite-rite.

They are far more svelte to look at, and hopefully will look right with the frame size, kind of the same reason for the choice of saddle too, when I look at some of the others, the Sonic etc., the Turbo/Rolls saddles always seem a little too big...? But they were the choice of the day (pre Flite) for most of us I guess.
Then I remembered the Concor, a nice roady saddle from the 80s, they suggested, it was the first narrower style, anatomical shape...(or sum such marketing propaganda), but i am hoping it will suit this build a little better. thumbnail_IMG_9716.jpg

Last edited:
Big Thanks to Andy T for forwarding this on to me.

Given the many facets in this story of Orange and what was going on at this point bitd, I think this is a useful addition to the thread.

looking back over the thread, I think nearly every early Formula example is here (happily stand corrected and include anymore that come to the surface) , Additional images of Dave Yates work of the time, and What Overburys were up too all the way down south.

Now we finally have a full colour copy of the Tushingham Brochure showing the B52-(Pre Clockwork) and the Tushingham Works Replica-(Pre Formula.)

gsr.jpg tfhgtt.jpg thh.jpg

Last edited:
Back