Category X-Orange Formula.

reading this thread top to bottom was the first thing I did this morning, perfect start to my day. . . so much yet to learn, including patience ;D

I think your build sheet is super cool and far more interesting than the full XT you'd no doubt been agonizing over. practical functionality be damned, it hardly feels custom to buy a build-a-bike kit (groupo) for your custom frame

reading this thread top to bottom was the first thing I did this morning, perfect start to my day. . . so much yet to learn, including patience ;D

I think your build sheet is super cool and far more interesting than the full XT you'd no doubt been agonizing over. practical functionality be damned, it hardly feels custom to buy a build-a-bike kit (groupo) for your custom frame
Thanks for taking the time.

I originally thought a Cooks Chainset/crank would be perfect, but pickings were slim, and cost is prohibitive it seems.

I dont see many Specialized Black Flags these days, and thought it might suit the build.

Adrian Sent me an email this morning with it, :cool:

Oh MY, thats nice. I love Dave Yates face airbrushed on the front of the seat tube, that would help to date the frame if frame number not avaliable.

And aside from the eccentric bottom bracket, like the other one like this on the British steel thread, it really shows what was going on i think. Other than the Cantilever front brake position and that BB shell, its a Tushingham Works Replica, even down to the cable position. And then its only cable position, bb and rack and guard mounts that separate it from the Formula. I wonder if the frame angles are more Tushingham than Formula, BB height etc,

Again it makes me ask more questions, and i may never get to the bottom of this time line, it really is like Lester Noble went to Dave Yates, and tweaked what was already being done. Id love to have a sit down with Lester just to see if he could remember it all.

I have often wondered if the little gripe that Overburys had, and why the advert came about, was it with Orange as a fledging company leaning on the Made in UK angle when sourcing in the Far east, or was it the help Dave Yates gave them.

Im sure i will never know, but i do find it interesting.

Last edited:
I dont think that the Yates has an eccentric bottom bracket.
I have one like that and it is to take an aluminium insert with the BB pre-installed, the shell is much wider than a 73mm shell so that the chainstays could be attached as far apart as possible for tyre clearance with very short stays. The shell diameter is only slightly larger than a standard BSA shell.
No pics I am affraid as it is in storage atm. 😖

In a similar way to Fisher and others did, I see what you mean. it was the screws in the bb that made me instantly think it.

Cool.

Last edited:
See this thread

I was not the beneficiary of Johns kind offer but picked it up at a jumble a few years down the road minus some of its parts.

IMG_3680.JPG

Another from a different thread.

2016-01-24 14_12_22 (1).jpg 2016-01-24 14_14_14.jpg

Last edited:
thats the one, A cool frame. Need to dig that out mate... :cool:

I love it when this happens, any more yates of the same era in the shadows, then id love to see them, it all adds more History/Dimensions/learning to the story of the time.

(Edit..21/08/23)
Found some more images from 88 and 89 for the Yates Bikes, apparently the BB was done like this to allow width for the 2.125 size tyres at the time
srt6u.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9677 (2).jpg u.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9681 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back