Carlton Grand Prix - build

Son of Donald

Retro Newbie
I'm in the process of building a Carlton Grand Prix (1981) from scratch.

I'm trying to find a spec or part list for the original bike - a list of all parts, sizes, etc.

I think there is 1981 Road bike catalog around which might list these.

Would be great if anyone has any ideas where I can get a spec or list of parts for this bike.

Thanks,

MAC

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
note, you can only take pictures of GP's by fences. (or in my case walls)

this won't help (because the only thing stock on it is the headset and I'm doubtful about it actually being a GP even though it was painted as one when I bought it), but it's a pretty picture of one.

old bike by David Rees, on Flickr

Follow up on my earlier thread. Thanks for the replies. Trying to source a bottom bracket for my old Carlton frame. The BB shell is in pretty good condition so hopefully will be ok to fit a new mechanism. Although I've heard people have had some issues with this and the thread can be damaged easily. Any recommends/advice would be appreciated.
There is some strange black glue/gunk in the shell which i will need to clean out with something not too corrosive.
Added some images

Attachments

• IMG_20230202_211130.jpg
    IMG_20230202_211130.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230202_210505.jpg
    IMG_20230202_210505.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230202_210528.jpg
    IMG_20230202_210528.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 7
Your frame appears to have a Raleigh R/H bracket cup, which would be Left Hand Thread and 26 threads per inch. It would probably need a tool that bolts through the bottom bracket and at least 2 feet of leverage to remove it. The head set may also be 26 threads per inch (Raleigh standard)

As the frame is from a fairly low end bike if you are looking to build it as near to original as possible it would be economically better to find a correct spec complete bike, and use the parts to build yours.

Keith

Back