Captain Kirk’s Mag Revolution.. Part II (pg5 back for more)

Re: Captain Kirk’s Mg Revolution.

minor_LEGEND":nr58vz6a said:
Do it justice & hope to see you both @ Mayhem.

thanks for the comments hopefully this tickets a few boxes......

Parts bin raided, and what a trip…..

Finally found a home for some of those retro parts I’ve been hoarding that didn’t work on previous builds but couldn’t bring myself to sell on.

Top of the list is the NOS Girvin flex stem, finally out of the box after being left on the shelf for 20+ years, what a lump ! but the reach and height is spot on for me, daft as it sounds I’m actually quite thrilled to be able to try this as I never had one B.I.T.D and it seems to fit the tone of the build perfectly.

Up front its now sporting XT thumb shifters and M733 Levers along with a new set of Mike Muz’s all-time favourite grips on some nice black bars, after a strip and a clean of the thumbies I found a new top cap which makes at least one look like new,

The jury’s out on the Silver bar ends, but I fitted them all the same as they’re great for climbing and I do want to ride this.

Next one out was the XT M732 rear wheel and the pseudo Disc (cover) I bought as it seemed like a good idea at the time but couldn’t find a permanent home for it as it just doesn’t work on other builds but with the white forks up front it’s balanced, and the highly reflective logo are cool as hell.

The rear is joined up front with a nice m730 mated to a spare set of RM20’s

Apart from the tyres being budget black walled items and largely shagged, the smell from them was unbelievable so it never was in doubt that they would be going. Step forward a reproduction Smoke for the rear and since I really don’t like Darts nor a Smoke on the front I found this Panaracer for the front.

The XT theme continues with the brakes and topped off with a bit of Anno to pick up purple accent in the graphics and a subtle nod to the early 90’s, the brakes and lever combo gave me a good excuse to use some more 6mm SLR cable with 2mm inner for that industrial look, The old SLR stuff looks like rope when sat side by side with modern (cheese wire) brake cable.

The frame even helped me in that score as it was designed to run the stuff, Thankfully I also had a supply of 5mm gear outer to sit alongside it and topped off with 3DV end caps. After a good clean with Peeks metal polish the front mech is back to looking nice again

Being cheap tat from the far east the seat post was a beyond saving, and being silver it no longer worked for me anyway so a donar 27.0mm post has been borrowed from my Endorphin for the time being, if this all works I’ll look for an XT replacement,
The saddle’s not a problem as I’ve got more of them than I have projects and this Red label from 1991 so fits perfectly,

So here’s to a perfectly pointless build, hopefully a lap of Mountain Mayhem in June but in the meantime a few rides out on it ……. Oh a few links out of that chain !

:LOL:

Re:

Nick,

That looks bloody lovely! :cool: :cool:

Don't forget pedals either. I find getting my big toe in the threads a real PITA! :LOL: :LOL:

Well done brother! ;)

Purple YETI? Goodness me! :shock:

Does the back wheel make much noise?

Mike

Re:

Cheers Mikeeee

I bought the Yeti grips thinking they were closed end ones and was well cheesed off with them when they arrived, but they work well (I think) on this

I've got some black Onza's lined up in the pedal dept and also some Black XT cranks and rings
otherwise I would have polished the crap out of the silver ones.

I've also got some black Bio Pace rings that I'd also love to try out :D

Man that is cool. Lovin' everything about it.

I had a Batman disc bitd I used to chuck on now & again. They do rumble & sound great for the odd naughty skid.

That looks fantastic!
I keep getting drawn to these Kirks for the same reason you bought this one- A truly innovative British classic that are good looking and often can be found cheap. It's now a matter of time before I get one having seen how good yours turned out. Great stuff!

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":34zkwhlf said:
This will sit nicely next to my XT-equipped Fire Mountain in the 'Pig in Lipstick' thread :LOL:

Is it sub 30lbs?

SP

To be honest Mike I've not actually weighed it... I'm still in awe of its unexpected mass :shock: its by far the heaviest one in the fold,
although to fair my 1990 21' TBG Cindercone isn't far behind

I'll get and have a weigh in of these two and let you know the outcome.

I'll look up "pig in lipstick" thread, and will certainly post a pic :D however last night I found a BNIB black XT headset that I bought years ago :oops:
so going to have a go at fitting that first.

I might also swap out the BB when the black cranks arrive as its appears to be a hybrid between an 80's loose cups and a early sealed affair
....... and most likely the weight of an Anchor.

when its done in surgery I'll chuck a few post surgery pics on there, although to many even after surgery it will still look as appealing as old Jackie Stallone :LOL:

Attachments

• o-JACKIE-STALLONE-facebook.jpg
    o-JACKIE-STALLONE-facebook.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 990

street":2t82jma7 said:
That looks fantastic!
I keep getting drawn to these Kirks for the same reason you bought this one- A truly innovative British classic that are good looking and often can be found cheap. It's now a matter of time before I get one having seen how good yours turned out. Great stuff!

Cheers Street

for the princely sum of £45 it had to be worth a punt (just for the experience alone) and its kept me off the streets and out of trouble tinkering with it

Attachments

• bay.JPG
    bay.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 985

Regarding the weight, the wheel disc & flexstem won't be doing it any favours.. You could always remove the barends too for the purpose of research ;-)

Any idea if the forks are success ballast or not?

Re:

Now it’s built it would be rude not to take the old girl out and about,

Turned out to be a good ride, and no shortage of comments from all ages, granted some derision, some “holy feck” but a lot of that’s cool (but no offers to swap)

Anyway there’s tons of room for improvement, the elastomer in the Flex Stem appears to have hardened and no longer moves a great deal, so perhaps a wee trip over to suspension fork parts for a replacement is in order (when the website comes back on line).
The bar ends need pitching up a tad to make them a comfy fit, and rear cassette/chain needs replacing as the chain is jumping but apart from that all is good and Retro666 has a nice 7sp HG70 in the post to me.
There was some noticeable flex in the back end (akin to loose cones on a hub) which every man and his dog who has an opinion berates as frame flex but perhaps that’s all part of the Kirk charm. (but more on that later)

Still have no idea why folk B.I.T.D though wheel covers we’re a good idea, apart from being a mobile advertising hoarding I can’t conceive any benefit for fitting them… but its cool enough to be staying

Back home and the clean up began along with some adjustments

Not as clean as it was a few days ago

And now the show stopper for the sloppy arse end, and not the cones in the rear wheel as I first suspected more serious than that :?

A mother of a crack……………. On the positive side at least it’s in a replaceable drop out
despite being broken completely in two, the way its secured in the frame means prevented it from separating, and ultimately saved me having a long walk home :D

Down side is I’ve got to find one, I’ve put the feelers out already to Simon Haydn the main man for Kirks, but failing that I guess I’m gonna need to buy a whole bike as a donar and that could be a bit hit and miss

Anyone help / Leads greatly appreciated, as this old girls is grounded at present.

Spud

Latest posts

Back