Cantilever studs properly welded to fork?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Just bought online a rigid 26" fork for one of my bikes.

Checking it for potential issues, I've noticed one of the cantilever studs has a funny shape where it welds into the fork leg on the underside. Is this ok? Could it just be a leftover from paint? Distance between studs is 84mm, and I read online the recommended distance is about 80mm, so I guess it's ok. Or is it a serious flaw and I should return it?

Thanks for your help!

Seen from above:

Close-up:

From below it looks ok:

View of both studs, right one seems correct:

When seen from below, now it seems the other one (left side now) also has the same "funky" shape although less pronounced

Attachments

• cantilever1.JPG
    cantilever1.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 314
  • cantilever2.JPG
    cantilever2.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 314
  • cantilever3.JPG
    cantilever3.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 314
  • cantilever4.JPG
    cantilever4.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 314
  • cantilever5.JPG
    cantilever5.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 314
Re:

I wouldn't be happy with it & would send it back if possible. Looks like the welder was set a bit too high & it's just melted away the metal in the boss. Looks a good opportunity for a stress fracture to begin.

(Edit) Looking again, not sure if it's just the camera angle but are the bosses not parrallel & pointing outwards?

Re: Re:

fettler":1f0b73k3 said:
I wouldn't be happy with it & would send it back if possible. Looks like the welder was set a bit too high & it's just melted away the metal in the boss. Looks a good opportunity for a stress fracture to begin.

(Edit) Looking again, not sure if it's just the camera angle but are the bosses not parrallel & pointing outwards?

Thanks for the answer. I also got the impression bosses were not aligned at first, but removing the bosses covers and putting the fork flat on a table resting on them showed they were 98% aligned. Not perfect though, but easy to correct at the pads.

Poor quality, however it got through qc somehow. Poses the question, do you feel you received in goods for what you paid in cash? If not then return.

Back