Cannondale Beast of the East SM800 history and resto

Having just sold my 20" B.o.t.e
But still having (so she believes ) Mrs P's 18" B.o.t.e sitting doing nothing,
I will be following this with great interest & will be taking inspiration from you to get her bike up to my liking ;)

Gc

Great story - looking forward to this.

Agree that losing paint may seem hard but would recommend a powdercoat as well. But your choice and all, just worth thinking about if you are going to go through a long build and putting the effort in then it might warrant a lick of paint.

Liking the Renault 5 as well. Haven't seen one of those bad boys for years :cool:

Good story, reminds me of bitd!!

going to watch this build, always liked 'dales, but have never owned one!!

I reckon a powder coat would make this look spot on as well! :cool:

Nice story, I recognize this with my slightly cheaper bike in '91 (Batavus Buster), also stolen and bought one back last year.
Remarkable that your frame was quite small, because a lot of LBS' sold a bike 'he will grow to'.
Have fun rebuilding and riding again after all those years!

Respraying all the frame-fork is a good idea.
But, you need to find the decals first ;)
The only and main problem for printing them : hard to find someon who can print neon colors

Respraying all the frame-fork is a good idea.
But, you need to find the decals first ;)
The only and main problem for printing them : hard to find someon who can print neon colors

Evening all........ quick update,

Went up to the folks place on the weekend and spent a bit of time in my pop’s den with a Dremel and some paint. As you know I really want to preserve the original paintwork and patch up the cacky bits.. sooo made a start what do you reckon? Luckily the gloss black is very easy to match but the orange flecks, although not difficult to get a colour match need individually dabbing on.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

More updates as and when, but in the meantime check out my inspiration. It's a '93 BotE in 8/10 condition that I bought a while back from a guy selling on 'the bay'. When time permits I have some IRC nobbly tyres to go on; once they're on I'll take it out and get some decent pictures up.

DSC043760.jpg

DSC04383.jpg

Dimension wise I thought this 3.0 series frame would be completely identical to my project SM800 but I was wrong. When checking seat post sizes I discovered they are different. The '93 model takes a 27.2mm which I found to be too big for the '91 model. Can anyone help me here? Does anyone know the correct post size for a '91 3.0 series frame?

Cheers

Craig

Great story and wonderful bikes :)

Looks like a nice tidy job on the paintwork.

Looking forward to your progress reports ;)

out of interest what Gloss black paint did you use?

My Sorcerer Mega needed a bit of touching up and like the BotE it has a cool finish called volcanic blue so touching up and preserving the paint was priority I sprayed some engine aerosol enamel into a cap and painted on with a brush, it seemed a bit thin really though I was thinking humbrol might be the stuff but ebay is the only place for it now.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back