Can a frame designed to take an ahead headset take a quill.

Captain Vimes

Retro Guru
Apologies if this seems a stupid question, but I cannot see any reason why my mid 90’s steel frame that was originally for a bike that used a 1 inch ahead headset cannot take a threaded headset and quill stem, provided I get the correct threaded fork length. Am I missing something? Or do I just need to be careful with my measurements?

Cheers!

Apologies if this seems a stupid question, but I cannot see any reason why my mid 90’s steel frame that was originally for a bike that used a 1 inch ahead headset cannot take a threaded headset and quill stem, provided I get the correct threaded fork length. Am I missing something? Or do I just need to be careful with my measurements?

Cheers!
A frame building workshop can cut down and thread your steerer to which you then buy a traditional headset and quill stem

If it is an older frame with a traditional press in external bearing type headset then yes. If it's a modern frame with internal bearings or some other weird new system, you might have problems

If it is an older frame with a traditional press in external bearing type headset then yes. If it's a modern frame with internal bearings or some other weird new system, you might have problems
He says its 1 inch. Is 1inch not always an external cupped headset?

Thanks all!

It is steel and external cup, so there is the option of getting the current fork cut down and threaded, or finding a fork with the correct length.

Although a ‘modern’ steel build, I just want the elegance that a quill has over ahead! 🙂

The head tube is 120mm. Anyone know where I can look up what the steerer length needs to be and how much of that needs to be threaded? I have Googled, but struggling....

Back