CAMPAGNOLO RECORD OR/ICARUS/CENTAUR

Hello
I think it's almost all Campagnolo Olympus, the crank set has a black cap, the rear derailleur is silver and black.
quick releases are olympus, not sure about hubs, could be centaur
The brake levers are not visible.
Brake are centaur or olympus
In those years they always mixed a bit of everything
The front mech is definitely Centaur. As you mentioned, the brake levers aren’t really visible but they look a bit shiney and maybe too wide for Olympus so I suspect they’re Centaur. We would have to see a better photo to confirm.
I think the crank might be better finished than silver version of Olympus

I think Olympus crank too.

CAMPAGNOLO%2B1991%2B%252815%2529.png

Possibly nearly all Olympus then minus front mech. The hubs could be Olympus; indistinguishable from Centaur. A grease point on the front differentiates Rec OR and Icarus, but we can’t see. I don’t think the brake levers are Olympus which has (horrible) rubber coated steel blades. These look more like Centaur.
Black caged pedals suggest Olympus

Last edited:
I searched through the forum but have not found anything regarding the two questions I have:
- what's the difference between the Centaur and the Icarus RD?
- would they work with any other shifter besides their own?

There are a couple of distinct differences between Icarus and Centaur rear mech’s -
If you look at the rear ‘knuckle’ (the cast part that includes the cable adjuster and frame hanger bolt), it’s quite a bit sleeker on Icarus - the same as on Record mechs.
On Centaur, this part is bulkier and more crudely sculpted.

Also, the back parallelogram plate is alum’ on Icarus.

* note: nearly all of the photos of Icarus mech’s on google image are incorrect. As is most information, including Velobase, Disraeli Gears etc, so you’re in good company being confused!!

This is a genuine Icarus:

1707910258856.jpeg

Last edited:
Back