Campag 9 Speed Cassette Types

This has been very interesting and informative gents and has lead me to another question. is the sprocket thickness and spacing the same for both the old and new 9 speed cassettes?

Going through my parts box yesterday I found a pair of early pre 99 brifters that I had assumed were 8 speed but are in fact 9 speed so am wondering if I can use them with the current 9 speed cassettes?

They're different. Fractionally. IIRC, using them mismatched means it skips a sprocket going up and a different one coming down - ergo you can get all the gears, you just sometimes have to goup then down, or down then up. IIRC it's the 3rd from biggest going up and 2nd/3rd from smallest coming back down that can be problematic. I could dial it in perfectly on the stand, but soon as I was in the real world, the misses came back. I think one or the other has a single different sized spacer - can't recall which, I just make very sure I line them all up in the exact order, even when swapping sprockets to make custom cassettes. I think there are some cut away diagrams that explain the differences in the tech manuals if they're still online.

BigFoz":32y93vd3 said:
They're different. Fractionally. IIRC, using them mismatched means it skips a sprocket going up and a different one coming down - ergo you can get all the gears, you just sometimes have to goup then down, or down then up. IIRC it's the 3rd from biggest going up and 2nd/3rd from smallest coming back down that can be problematic. I could dial it in perfectly on the stand, but soon as I was in the real world, the misses came back. I think one or the other has a single different sized spacer - can't recall which, I just make very sure I line them all up in the exact order, even when swapping sprockets to make custom cassettes. I think there are some cut away diagrams that explain the differences in the tech manuals if they're still online.
Thanks for that. I'll have to have a look through the manuals I have and can find online to see if I can work out how to space them.
I've done it mixing Shimano cogs and Campag spacers using the info on Sheldons browns site about cog and spacer thickness to get 8 speed Campag brifters to work on Shimano hubs, but I don't remember seeing the earlier Campag info there but I'm sure I'll get there with these.

Back