Calling all Kona Experts!

Chris J

Dirt Disciple
Can anyone please tell me the 1996 UK retail price of a Kona Kula in 1996?

I know that they were way outside my budget at the time, meaning I opted for a Koa instead, which I still own and is still going strong and which I think I paid £400.

Thanks any help appreciated!

The 1996 US and German price lists are in the RetroBIKE archive. You could estimate it by % difference based on the other countries prices.

The 1996 US and German price lists are in the RetroBIKE archive. You could estimate it by % difference based on the other countries prices.
Thanks yes, I’ve spotted the US and German price lists and I’m sure I’ve seen the UK price list at some point in the past, but can’t seem to find it now.

Cant remember off top of my head, well over a grand, but based off the fact the RRP of the AA was £1099.95 and they went up £250ish each model then its fair to say the RRP was around £1349.95

The Koa's RRP was £599.95 by the way.

September '96 MBUK in front of me at the moment, Noah's Ark bike shop ad lists the Kona Kula @ £1,599 and that seems to be consistant across other shop ads too.

Cant remember off top of my head, well over a grand, but based off the fact the RRP of the AA was £1099.95 and they went up £250ish each model then its fair to say the RRP was around £1349.95

The Koa's RRP was £599.95 by the way.
Thanks very much that’s really helpful. £1350 is a lot of money now, let alone in 1996 and it shows that if you can find a good one today, you can pick up a cracking bike for a fraction of the original price.

I honestly didn’t think I paid £600 for my Koa, but it has repaid me many times over since then, even though it’s a little bit like triggers broom, it still has the original ‘bomb proof’ Mavic 238s, and has ridden thousands and thousands of miles.

If anyone can lay there hands on the UK price list for 1996, I’d still be very interested to see it and to compare the relative prices of the models.

Thanks very much that’s really helpful. £1350 is a lot of money now, let alone in 1996 and it shows that if you can find a good one today, you can pick up a cracking bike for a fraction of the original price.

I honestly didn’t think I paid £600 for my Koa, but it has repaid me many times over since then, even though it’s a little bit like triggers broom, it still has the original ‘bomb proof’ Mavic 238s, and has ridden thousands and thousands of miles.

If anyone can lay there hands on the UK price list for 1996, I’d still be very interested to see it and to compare the relative prices of the models.

They used to sell them off cheaper at the end of the year, the Ad I am looking at has a sale price of £450 for the Koa.

September '96 MBUK in front of me at the moment, Noah's Ark bike shop ad lists the Kona Kula @ £1,599 and that seems to be consistant across other shop ads too.
Now the Ark, my go to local bike shop since 87. No longer Chris and Charlotte, but still really helpful and friendly shop.

Back