Buying a whole bike to get one part

I bought an almost identical frame and forks to a bike I already had, a bionicon golden willow, just for the upgraded fork damper which is near impossible to get a hold of now. I resold them later. The damper made almost no difference by the way.

Well, I guess it wasn’t worthless after all 👍🏻 Is there a build thread??
Actually I still have the handle bar grips from it, so it wasn’t totally pointless on my part.
Still, it was a lot of work for some second hand foam handlebar grips 😂
You know, I recently picked up some foam grips from Wilko? £2.99 I think? I haven't tried them yet, but they look pretty retro.

I bought a crusty Stumpjumper for the hubs, but turns out it had a bunch of tasty parts, the sale of which covered the bike purchase plus a bit. The hubs are now on my Yeti, and I also ended up keeping and using the rims on my Kona.
Karma'd the frame and forks on here.

Not a practice I tend to do too often in case I end up with a frameset I can't shift - and I hate throwing things away if they are serviceable.

I bought a crusty Stumpjumper for the hubs, but turns out it had a bunch of tasty parts, the sale of which covered the bike purchase plus a bit. The hubs are now on my Yeti, and I also ended up keeping and using the rims on my Kona.

Not a practice I tend to do too often in case I end up with a frameset I can't shift - and I hate throwing things away if they are serviceable.

Tis a problem - every so often I just give a box of bike bits back to the charity shop. Frames can be pain to box up etc., forks less so.

I'm on the other side of the coin. I'm tempted by a bike that has been listed for a price which would make you weep. It's a Proflex 953 that is in decent condition, but all I want is the Girvin. I don't think I could buy it and not fall in love with the Proflex. Is there a situation where the cheap part becomes too expensive due to the frame it is attached to? I can't afford the cheap part because of the new project it would lead to

I've been watching a bike on ebay for quite some time, for which the part I want is 'the frame', most of the rest of it I don't really have much desire/need for. So my trouble is justifying the price to pay, taking in to consideration a little I may get back for sale of the bits I don't need to keep.

The Bullseyes...I had the wiggle spokes from them. 👍

Back