butterfingers. repair?

The motor drives a rubber belt, the bearings on the spinny drum bit should therefore be unaffected by a slightly wonky motor. The belt might not like it though!
In my head there's the bearings in the middle, which seem fine, and the pinion drive gear and ring around the edge, which also seem fine. What else is there? My guess is that my assessment of 'its fine' is falling short somewhere I just need to work out where 🥴. Need a beer and a hammer.

The motor drives a rubber belt, the bearings on the spinny drum bit should therefore be unaffected by a slightly wonky motor. The belt might not like it though!
In my head there's the bearings in the middle, which seem fine, and the pinion drive gear and ring around the edge, which also seem fine. What else is there? My guess is that my assessment of 'its fine' is falling short somewhere I just need to work out where 🥴. Need a beer and a hammer.
It's the bearings on the motor that would be a problem if it's out of shape.As mentioned,the driven mechanism (mixer) should be unaffected as the drive belt would allow for a couple of degrees of misalignment between the two.
If the shaft and bearings of the motor are not dead square top n bottom you'll get friction.Usually a cartridge bearing,not designed for any angular movement.Or sometimes even a solid (brass/bronze) bearing with even less room for movement.Heat is the giveaway.

Hadn't thought about the motor bearings that way to be honest, good point. It spins beautifully on the bench by hand so any resistance in the bearings can't be that severe but I'll certainly take a closer look. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hadn't thought about the motor bearings that way to be honest, good point. It spins beautifully on the bench by hand so any resistance in the bearings can't be that severe but I'll certainly take a closer look. Thanks for the suggestion.
No problem.Could be that the resistance only occurs when it's under load,the torque force between the motor and the casing causing something to shift slightly.
I might be over thinking it but if the casing has an earth attached anywhere,the Araldite repair could have insulated that end of the casing,effectively leaving it un-earthed.

IMG_20210610_183504.jpg
Sorted. The rusted threads may have defeated Mr Screwdriver but had no chance againd the double team of Mr Hammer and Mr Boltcutter. Threads in the casing are intact, all I need to do now it's switch it over for the bodge repaired part and see if it's any better.
Progress.
IMG_20210610_183509.jpg

New motor, old bracket now attached and all bolted to the mixer. Seems to work fine spinning without a load in which is a good start so fingers crossed its up to the job.

So turns out it can AND can't be fixed.

Now, time to build a wall....

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_113346.jpg
    IMG_20210612_113346.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 2
Back